Different colored yolks in diff. colored eggs?

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
Ok, dh fixed me some eggs for supper tonight. I knew that one of the eggs was brown. But, I asked him if one had been green (EE). He was amazed that I knew that. The green eggs that I have broken open have had an oranger (darker) yolk. Has anyone else noticed this? What would cause it? EE's live with my SLW's. Thanks! Just curious/!

Dark orange yolks are from beta carotene. If you feed your chickens food high in beta carotene, they will darken.

Mine started out light yellow when they first started laying. Now I have beautiful orange yolks.

Foods high in beta carotene are greens (like spinach, chard, parsley) and cantaloupe.

My EE that is laying does not go outside. She only eats the feed. Her yolk is pale yellow like store bought eggs. My CW always is outside w/ her rooster and her yolks are dark orange. She's getting a variety in her diet that the pullets that aren't going outside are not getting. They are getting braver now and going out a little more. They were hiding from all the cockerels we had. Now that problem is solved so I'm starting to notice the yolks are darkening.

Back
Top Bottom