**Digging my way to the coop. GOT SNOW?**

Do you shovel for your chickens?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, no. It'll melt & they can play charades until then.

• Sometimes, depends how deep it is.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It doesn't snow where I live. (lucky you!)

• Total voters
Quote:
Any other animals you could feed it to?
lol.png
Eating the tree is Christmas for our goats.

It's artificial, so it'll be back next year!
wink.png

I'll betcha they'd eat it anyway.
lau.gif

In my area (east/central Kansas), the snow has been a problem, but the frigid temps are worse. the overnight last night was either -3 or -1 depending on your source. Even with the heat lamp by the roost, the coop gets down into the single digits. One of the girls wouldn't come off the warmest spot on the roost this morning to get treats. Poor babies.

I shoveled their run (well part of it) 2 days ago, didn't do any good, there was still that evil white stuff on the ground, so I spread out part of their straw bale yesterday, and they came out and scratched around for a while. I think the high yesterday was 14 or so, but they didn't mind that since the wind was shielded. Today it is 9 and they are out scratching in the straw. Tough little birds. I'm getting 3 or 4 eggs a day from my 7 girls (and they have only been laying for a few weeks).

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of extremes of any kind -- weather, religions, politics -- you name it, I want nothing to do with the extremes. Right now I'm focusing on cold !! Brrr.

Quote:
LOL. I hear ya. Every winter I wonder why I live in New England (family, that's right, must be b/c my family is here). There's no other rational explaination!

My hens won't go out of the house even if there is only a few inches of snow. When I get around to it, I will shovel their run out. Doesn't that just figure! We get an average of 120" of snow a year here in the Syracuse area and so far this year we are over 90" and I have chickens that won't go out in the snow!!

Oh well...
big_smile.png

We average 10 feet of snow each winter season but this year has been slow. We are from CT and moved to VT a few years back - its fun to have all our family and friends calling us up and telling us they know what its like here now! This is our future chicken coop (temporary turkey home)
58107_january_noreaster_059.jpg

This is the coop/run for our handful of laying hens, there is no real snow accumulation atop as I had just used the roof rake to clean it off before this picture.
58107_january_noreaster_019.jpg

I'm not sure who's more spoiled: me or my chickens. DH has been plowing our backyard so that I don't have to shovel, and so the girls can get around. The plow leaves a nice wide open space for them to get their chicken antics on. He roughs it up a bit so they can pick at the grass and leaves. If I can't find them I just follow the path around the yard until I meet up with them.

Awwww I love the night shot of your coop!
smile.png
I prep them for days in the coop if it is going to be bad and then check on them when I can get in. I check in the window but pretty much leave the heat in as long as I can!
smile.png

Quote:
Wow, great chicken coop! I wouldn't want to be the one who has to haul the water up there in the winter though, it looks like it could double as a ski slope!

Quote:
H-O-L-Y COW!!!!
ep.gif
You win, hands down. How much snow is that? Great picture!!
How do you collect eggs in that stuff?!

Back
Top Bottom