1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dilemma! Is there a problem with only keeping 1 chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aimky, Sep 14, 2008.

1. aimky

aimky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I have a Buff Orpington and an EE - both around 11 weeks. They were both sold to me as females. Unfortunately, the EE has started to crow! I live in a suburban area and my neighbors are pretty unhappy. I have to bring the EE back to the farm I bought it from.

Problem is: Will the Buff Orpington ("Butter") be fine living alone through the winter, just until I can order some more chicks in the Spring? I really don't want to seperate them, but it's either the EE goes or both of them go.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Chickens really are much happier and do much better with more than one. Would it be possible for you to trade chickens when you take the EE back to the farm for another pullet since the EE was supposed to be female in the first place?

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Chickens are very social and need the company of other chickens to be at their healthiest and happiest. I know some people have kept single chickens but I personally don't think that the chicken is as happy as it would be with other chickens.

If you kept it in the house as a house chicken that might help with the social depression.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Get some chicken diapers then the chicken wouldn't be lonely [​IMG]

5. aimky

aimky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I'll try to trade the EE for a pullet when I go to the farm. My only concern is that I want the replacement EE to be socialized. I have a feeling that the chickens on this farm (since they're being raised for food) haven't really been exposed to people too much.

Ignore me if the above post was a joke but what is a "chicken diaper"?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Where do you live?

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a google search for chicken diapers, you'll find a lot of info.

8. aimky

aimky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I live in Northern NJ. The chicken diapers seem like a GREAT idea! Maybe I can keep my BO inside during the winter and get her some buddies come spring. Thanks for the tip!

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I too think one by itself would get lonely, being they are flock animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by