HELP ! Brahmas eating only blue eggs!

Jennell

Chirping
Jan 16, 2023
I recently purchased a buff Brahma and an EE from the flea market this past weekend, they’re both in good health , but I am quarantining them from my main flock for a few weeks providing Corid for precautions and the Brahma has laid 3 days in a row and her egg was left untouched EVERYTIME sally the EE lays her blue egg she darts for it likes it crack and I can’t get inside the bird cage fast enough to stop her, she’s the only colored layer I have my OE hasn’t started laying and I don’t want her to join the main flock and devour sally and Lisa’s eggs the rest lay dark brown or light brown like the buff Brahma buffy, WHAT DO I DO ?!?! HELP !

No they don’t live in the parrot cage, it’s my chicken hospital, and the floor is cleaned daily with new wood slabs, they’re not walking on grate or anything silly, they’ve flat ground, shade, Corid water and feed/treats. Please please help me I’ve been striving for colored eggs and now I e a colored egg eater, she came from the flea market so I have zero clue if this was a previous problem or not. 😭🫣😬

Photos of Buffy the chicken slayer (living up to her name 🫣🙄) & Sally for fun

She’s panting bc she escaped on me and I had to corner and catch her. She’s not hot jus P.O and scared.

Attachments

• 8BDACF37-9D9B-47B9-BAD8-2FD531A5CEC9.jpeg
    8BDACF37-9D9B-47B9-BAD8-2FD531A5CEC9.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 82F305B9-6036-4953-AAC7-70F74A82EDBE.jpeg
    82F305B9-6036-4953-AAC7-70F74A82EDBE.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 15
  • FE3974FE-4DAB-4892-907E-C76EE6C0D301.jpeg
    FE3974FE-4DAB-4892-907E-C76EE6C0D301.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 15
  • B5E2374D-B975-4E4B-BA5A-5AA72FCFA6F2.jpeg
    B5E2374D-B975-4E4B-BA5A-5AA72FCFA6F2.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 16
I had that happen in my flock--just the blue eggs. One of the things I tried was fake blue eggs in the nesting boxes. It helped a little and went from an every day occurrence to maybe once a week. You could try curtains on the nest boxes when you put them in the coop to keep the eggs out of sight. I also upped the protein in my feed. I ended up getting rid of the egg eater because nothing stopped her and I was worried the other chickens would start to do it too. Hopefully someone with more experience can offer advice.

I can def try the fake eggs ! I jus switched feed for them to all flock naturewise 20% so I’m hoping maybe that will help so ? We shall see , ugh it’s driving me crazy ! Lol I didn’t even know the EE laid blue so it made it even more upsetting

Seems that this was the reason she was sold.
You could install roll-away nest boxes so the hens will not be able to get to the eggs once laid.

FWIW she is a mixed hen, not a Brahma.
The buffy one is mixed , I was told she’s Brahma ? And idk what fwiw means , I didn’t ask any questions about her bc they have 5-6 full grown hens in medium metal crates, and ab 4-6 roosters per cage if not more , so I buy them when I can bc I feel so bad for them. She was in a cage right beside the EE with ab 6 other hens, they can’t even sit. Also what makes you say the Brahma is not full Brahma so i know for future.

So her comb is not right? She has full boots but she may still be on the younger side they’re both the same size as my 8 month old hens. The buff brahmas on my Google look like her she’s jus a bit lighter than them. I’m not good with breeds,I jus went by the flea market guy and Google image, she lays the Brahma color which Ik doesn’t mean anything, you can tell her boots were being plucked quite a bit, I’m wondering if that maybe why she’s eating the eggs, stress from previous life style and stress from moving to a new place, I jus want to do right by them. I know her eating eggs won’t hurt her but I don’t want her teaching the others either. And thank you btw I don’t believe I said that.

Comb, tail, body type, leg colour, feathering are all wrong.

Brahma legs are covered in very long and dense feathers, even the middle toes are heavily feathered.
They have long necks, very distinctive faces and carry themselves rather upright with a wide stance.
They are giant and very heavy birds with profuse and fluffy feathering. Hens weigh between 8-10 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom