dimmer switch for brooder bulbs

zachslc

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
Salt Lake City
has anyone used a dimmer switch with the 250W IR bulbs? I am afraid that the induction vibrations of the filament will cause it to fail. Is this the case?

I can't find lower wattage red bulbs locally and don't feel like hooking up a transformer.

Thanks.

My husband insisted on installing a light fixture and dimmer switch on our brooder so we wouldn't have to use one of those clamp-on lights with a metal shade.

It didn't work. The temperature didn't get high enough to keep the chicks warm. We ended up using one of the clamp-on lamps anyway. The metal shade is the key, it directs the heat downward on the chicks much better than an exposed bulb.

I have the metal shade. My problem is not getting it warm enough. My problem is cooling it. I went ahead and connected the fixture to a dimmer, so we'll see. I am going to watch it tonight. Practically, turning the dimmer all the way up would be the same as line voltage, so I will probably do that tomorrow instead of risk filament failure while I am gone all day.

Your husband should be advised that most household light fixtures and the subsequent wiring are not rated for 250w. That is why the hanging lamps sold at feed stores are advisable.

Of course, neither is my dimmer switch. I could take my own advice, but I'd rather be a didactic SOB.

If your problem is too much heat, then a dimmer will probably work just fine.

Don't worry, we didn't use a 250 watt bulb. My grandparents' chicken coop burned down when they used a heat lamp in it, so now anything over 100 watts makes me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom