Ding, Dong, the Rat is Dead! (pic included)

I sat at my living room window at dusk with a plate of cheese and meats, a glass of wine, and my son's pellet gun. When the bold SOB showed itself I took aim and fired then I finished my wine, went outside and took that picture. Not really epic but very satisfying!
I'm sitting here laughing my head off at your description....but it's exactly what I will be doing as soon as I get a pellet gun. Found out BB gun is not strong enough. I've caught two in traps, my little rat terrier almost had one a couple nights ago (she had it screaming but it got away), and I know there are plenty more of those nasty critters! Thanks for the idea about the cheese and wine...will make the wait more pleasant. :)

I'm sitting here laughing my head off at your description....but it's exactly what I will be doing as soon as I get a pellet gun. Found out BB gun is not strong enough. I've caught two in traps, my little rat terrier almost had one a couple nights ago (she had it screaming but it got away), and I know there are plenty more of those nasty critters! Thanks for the idea about the cheese and wine...will make the wait more pleasant. :)
May I suggest a Benjamin Titan .22 caliber pellet rifle? I have the type where you break the barrel down. I bought this, and bought the Gammo hunting pellets, and I still cant believe how accurate this rig is. I can consistently can pound a target that's a little smaller then a quarter at 15-20 yards. I shoot out of my doggie door at the rats in the chicken pen. It allows a quick clean kill also. The pellets damage surprised me also. I mean its just a pellet, but wow. I have hit birds on the power line at, im guessing, 50-60 yards (more hits then misses).

Thanks! I had no idea what kind to get. I know my son had a pellet gun years ago as a kid (he told me he still has it, and he's 33 now). The only name that I knew of was "Red Ryder" (because of that Christmas Story movie), but I know that was a BB gun, not pellets. I'm writing down the Benjamin Titan right now. Thanks again.

Thanks! I had no idea what kind to get. I know my son had a pellet gun years ago as a kid (he told me he still has it, and he's 33 now). The only name that I knew of was "Red Ryder" (because of that Christmas Story movie), but I know that was a BB gun, not pellets. I'm writing down the Benjamin Titan right now. Thanks again.
You are welcome. I am home now, let me show you a picture. This group was shot at about 45 feet (15 yards). This is not sniper type distances, but impressive anyway. The one hole that is by itself was my fault. I pulled the trigger and botched the shot. Otherwise its crazy accurate (with the right pellets).
Except for the screw up, all the pellets would have been well within my fingernail..
Rifle.jpg
This is a link to the rifle on Academys website.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/benjamin-titan-gp-22-caliber-air-rifle

A friend of mine back East told me that placing Peppermint essential oil soaked cotton balls around the edges will make the rats leave. Going to try it tomorrow.....

Frankly, whenever someone suggests essential oils or herbs to get rid of an active infestation, I just have to doubt that it will work. Think about it. The coop is a proven food source. It's likely the rats' nesting place and where they are raising their young. It has proven a place that offers food, safety, and security. I just think it will take more than a bad smell to drive them away if they've already set up shop.

Frankly, whenever someone suggests essential oils or herbs to get rid of an active infestation, I just have to doubt that it will work. Think about it. The coop is a proven food source. It's likely the rats' nesting place and where they are raising their young. It has proven a place that offers food, safety, and security. I just think it will take more than a bad smell to drive them away if they've already set up shop.

Yeah and let us not forget where else they like to live sewers!!!!!! So don't think bad smell gonna cut it:hmm

Ditto Dat!^^^^
I suppose if you drenched the area with copious amounts it might repel them temporarily,
but could also create respiratory issues for the birds depending on relative locations.
I know it would repel me...and make me cough sputter and choke....haha!

Back
Top Bottom