Dirt bath in coop

pkwellman

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
:frowHey all I’m thinking about putting a dirt bath INSIDE the coop. I think it would be a great idea especially for when winter rolls around. I have two concerns, #1 I worry they may try to use it as an egg box. #2 I don’t want them to hang out in there and go broody(I especially worry about my Orpingtons doing that).. what are your backyard chicken thoughts🤔 Thanks in advance from southern Ohio

I use shavings for the flooring in my coop. Sometimes they choose to dust bath in the shavings. Otherwise, I provide a dust bath area in the run and they also use the dirt floor for their dust baths.

:frowHey all I’m thinking about putting a dirt bath INSIDE the coop. I think it would be a great idea especially for when winter rolls around. I have two concerns, #1 I worry they may try to use it as an egg box. #2 I don’t want them to hang out in there and go broody(I especially worry about my Orpingtons doing that).. what are your backyard chicken thoughts🤔 Thanks in advance from southern Ohio
I wouldn't simply because of the dust. Have you ever cleaned your coop and blew your nose afterwards? There's a bunch of dirt in your mucus (or there is mine at least!). That's what the chickens would be breathing in every single time they dust bathed in a confined space. Put it in the run, so at the very least the will dissipate more effectively.

I had one for a while in the coop, in addition to the one out in the run. It always seemed to have poop in it, so I'd sift the poop out with a cat litter scoop. Oh my! Dust, dust, dust. I took it out after about two weeks. Sooo much better cleaning the coop now. I don't blow grey/brown/black out of my nose.

I have to find a way to keep the run dust bath covered/dry in the winter so that the chickens have that as an option. What do you all do? Suggestions? Pictures?

Thanks,
Sally

turtle.jpg

As long as you keep it closed when it's raining or snowing, it'll keep the bath contents completely dry. Fits 4-5 standard birds at a time.

Back
Top Bottom