??dirt floor coop

crazy4chickns

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Is it safe to put down some lime on my dirt floor chicken coop?I was also wondering what type of litter would be best for this situation?I have 27 chickens and it's getting stinky.I'm new to all this chicken stuff and also this forum.Thanks!!Crazy4Chickns

I would think NO NOT LIME! Try DE - diotomeseous earth. I am sure I spelled that wrong. Also, do you line the area with straw or hay? that heps us. We rake it and re lay it every week, no stinky problem yet.

Some hay in the floor keep them scratching and turning their fresh manure into the dirt. If you have hard packed soil, it would be better to add some clean sand to create a softer, more scratchable floor. I had a soil floor once and never had odors at all, they scratched and pecked so often that the manure was dry and broken up.

Thanks debiraymond.Well I'm thinking sand would be best because my metal roof does have a couple leaks which I'm sure isn't helping the situation.Hay may not be so great because of bad allergies me and my boy's have.I've heard of the D.E.before and I think I'll add some of that also.Thanks&Blessings!!

Crazy, you need to make sure that you get food grade DE. There is more than one type of DE out there for sale.

Lots of people use sweet-lime in their coops and runs! But you have to get the right kind.

Make sure to rake it in good before letting the chickens in.

Deep litter on a dirt floor will keep the coop warmer in winter, but not if there is a water leak. I plan to grade my dirt floor a bit, just in case. DE mixed in really keeps it from smelling.

Quote:
We water our coop every morning (half of it) so the chickens can dig for bugs. They LOVE it! And yes, ask for food grade DE - sorry I forgot that part. They also make DE for pools and that is NOT what you want.

Back
Top Bottom