Dirt floor disadvantages?

Scoop

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Central PA
Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of a dirt floor over a wooden floor? I have a wooden one now and have no problems, but I'm adding on to this coop. I am considering a dirt floor. Any input on this subject would be great!
smile.png

Easier for predators to dig their way in.....

Weather could be an issue.... flooding with a heavy rain or spring thaw... leaving you with more muck and mud than a regular floor.

Just some thoughts....

Yep, I've considered the varmits digging in and have block I can put all around perimeter. My husband says it would be easier to just put in a wooden floor. I guess he's right!

Quote:
Thats the only trouble Ive had with dirt floors, no matter how much you clean, you never get all the dirt.
lol.png
I have never had any trouble with dirt floors in my coops. And Ive onlt had coops with dirt floors.

Quote:
some critters start outside the block area and tunnel way in and under.... you'd be amazed. even folks who have used used wire mesh down and under have had critters get in.

Biosecurity - some bacteria can get into the dirt and linger for a long, long time. You can bleach wash a wooden floor. Not so much, with dirt.
-Spooky

Sounds like I better stick with a wood floor. Thanks for the posts everyone! I love this website!
jumpy.gif

I don't know I find the dirt floor much easier to clean than the wooden floor in our original coop. I use a rake to get the poo out and a screen to shake back the excess dirt. I can finish cleaning our 12 x 36 foot coop which is divided into three separate coops way before DH cleans his 8 x 10 wooden floor coop. The only disadvantage I think you might find is the dirt floor is much colder than the wooden floor coop. We are in Florida and usually we don't get that cold (yeah right it was 19 this morning) I also find the dirt floor coop does not smell like the wooden floor coop.

Back
Top Bottom