Dirt in the Brooder

I would advise against doing such a thing, which is why no one has done such a thing it's not a good idea for several reasons it's not necessary to "build their immunity" they will not be biggee, stronger or better if they are living in a dirt brooder the brooder is to keep them clean and dry their immunity to anythung will grow with the chickens

This past spring I used wood chips the first few weeks in the "baby" brooder. After that moved them out into a larger brooder in the garage and used sand in the bottom. It seemed to work very well. (Had purchased this run from Amazon and it also worked very well. Put 2 X 4's across the top to hang feeders/waterer from. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JJCFQS/?tag=backy-20 )

The sand absorbed the moisture from the poo and was easily able to scoop out the poo with a cat box scoop. (Some of the poo was too small so screen in the cat scoop might have made it easier?) I have had more problems with my chicks eating wood shavings than sand. Did not notice my chicks eating sand but I had a feeder with chick grit in it.

Gee, I wonder how feral chickens can be successful raising clutch after clutch of chicks in a less than clean and sanatized environment.
Because the chicks aren't in a brooder. They are taken by their mother over a very large area, not a tiny brooder that rapidly builds up waste.

Because the chicks aren't in a brooder. They are taken by their mother over a very large area, not a tiny brooder that rapidly builds up waste.
Part of what you say is true, but it's not all about the space available. Part of the problem in a brooder is that they aren't exposed to the same sorts of things that occur out in the open. Chicks that are outside are exposed to greater amounts of vitamins and minerals, as well as bacteria and viruses, which is why they thrive better, and where do they find most of these things...? In the dirt and rocks that they eat from the outside world.

I brood outside, in a large plastic bottomed rabbit cage. I use pine shavings on one side and dirt on the other. The chicks love the dirt They hang out way more there than on shavings. They dust bath and pick about. I have used this method for up to six chicks at a time, and I do swap out the dirt between batches.
It might also depend on how long you tend to keep chicks in the brooder. That tends to vary somewhat wildly.

I brood outside, in a large plastic bottomed rabbit cage. I use pine shavings on one side and dirt on the other. The chicks love the dirt They hang out way more there than on shavings. They dust bath and pick about. I have used this method for up to six chicks at a time, and I do swap out the dirt between batches.
It might also depend on how long you tend to keep chicks in the brooder. That tends to vary somewhat wildly.
I'm glad to hear from someone who's tried it. Sounds like it works great for you... But I do use a little giant incubator and try to fill it for every hatch, so I usually end up with 20 chicks every 3-4 weeks. Obviously, new chicks don't go in with older chicks, and the totes that I use get cleaned out often. I start hatching in February, so the chicks from the earlier hatches stay in brooders, longer than others, but I probably won't be able to try dirt until after them anyway, since it'll be frozen under at least a few inches of snow...

I'm glad to hear from someone who's tried it. Sounds like it works great for you... But I do use a little giant incubator and try to fill it for every hatch, so I usually end up with 20 chicks every 3-4 weeks. Obviously, new chicks don't go in with older chicks, and the totes that I use get cleaned out often. I start hatching in February, so the chicks from the earlier hatches stay in brooders, longer than others, but I probably won't be able to try dirt until after them anyway, since it'll be frozen under at least a few inches of snow...
So, 20 chicks for 3-4 weeks in a what size of tote? I can see the number of chicks per tote being an issue, but otherwise, I think it will be fine. Regardless, give it a go, and report back!

First off, I've looked just about everywhere I can think of for months and can't find anything on my idea. The only thing I can find that's anywhere near what I'm thinking of is a sand brooder. But, I was wondering if anyone has tried a dirt bedding brooder. I thought it might be a good way to build up their immune system. I could be totally wrong, and I'd like to try it, probably no matter the feedback I get from here. But I'd like to hear your ideas, concerns, or if you've ever tried it.

Thanks,
Madie.
:love:love:love
I am a fan of dirt.

I use boxes of dirt in my brooder.
I usually wait until day 3 to add only because I like to make sure everyone is pooping normal first and it's easier to see on white paper towels.

So, 20 chicks for 3-4 weeks in a what size of tote? I can see the number of chicks per tote being an issue, but otherwise, I think it will be fine. Regardless, give it a go, and report back!
I haven't yet seen a tote large enough for 20 three week olds.

Back
Top Bottom