Dirt in the Brooder

It's going to take me a week to scroll all the way back to baby pictures.
This should give you an idea.
IMG_20191104_121818.jpg
IMG_20191108_212234.jpg
IMG_20191108_212232.jpg

Believe me... a large galvanized water trough is also too small for 20 3 wk chicken chicks.

I think the dirt idea has merit. You’ll need ample space if you decide to use it exclusively, though. I’d also give the babies part deep bedding. They do like dust bathing, but they also love scratching through hay, grass, straw, active compost, etc. if you don’t like pine shavings, ask at your local feed store about spoiled hay. Bag up your (or others’) fallen leaves or aged pine litter. Any carbon source will help absorb urea from their poop. It isn’t normal microbes that are harmful... it’s excessive urea and its fumes. Dirt can’t absorb that as well as carbon can. Plus they’ll end up with “poop booties.” Not nice for them or for you.

That said, no matter if you pour in the carbon with heedless abandon, an over-crowded brooder will still smell of ammonia and will be dangerous to your chicks’ respiratory systems. You could literally brood them on two ft deep bedding and still have problems with ammonia fumes.

In a natural setting, mama hen will range her babies over all sorts of terrain... grass, compost, leaf litter, boggy areas and even bare dirt patches (most likely created by the flock for their dust bathing pleasure.) I personally would not keep them on bare dirt, at least not exclusively. There are plenty of alternatives if you’re not fond of pine shavings or simply find them ridiculously expensive for what you get in the bag.

To answer everyone's question about space, I do start out with 20 in a 55-gallon tote, which in the weeks afterward dwindles down to about 5 chicks per tote as they move outside, are sold, and just get too crowded. I probably should have specified that in the beginning to avoid the criticism, but it didn't come to mind as important to the issue, but you all brought up perfectly valid points, so thank you.

To answer everyone's question about space, I do start out with 20 in a 55-gallon tote, which in the weeks afterward dwindles down to about 5 chicks per tote as they move outside, are sold, and just get too crowded. I probably should have specified that in the beginning to avoid the criticism, but it didn't come to mind as important to the issue, but you all brought up perfectly valid points, so thank you.
20 in a 55 gallon tote is probably only good for the first day or two.
That really not enough room for the little poopers.

Back
Top Bottom