Dirt inside my eggs

rpayne10

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
I have found a few eggs now that definitely have had dirt inside them. The next time I find one I will post a pic but this was a good chunk of dirt and not a meat spot. Does anyone know why this happens or how to make it stop?

I don't see how actual dirt could make its way up inside a hen far enough to be encapsulated inside the shell.
Sounds like a major malfunction. Would love to see a pic.

I know I was totally shocked at first but I've had 4 eggs like that so far. These dirt chunks have been as big as peas sometimes!

I've not really played with them but my hubby scrambled one before I could take the dirt spot out and the eggs ended up being gritty like dirt. It was awful.

Could they have been calcium deposits? I've seen people post pictures of little tiny spheres clumped together in a pea-size blob in the egg. Failing to find a suitable picture at the moment though -

I was also thinking poo or excess calcium, you'd need to look very closely at the debris in the egg....before you scramble and eat them, lol!

We get "dirt" in some of our eggs too. I'd be very interested in finding out how to fix this problem.

In order to 'fix' the problem, first you'd need to identify what the 'dirt' is.

A clear, well lit, close up photo of the debris might help. Then examining, separating it from the yolk or white-picking at it, it yourself might give some clues as to what the debris is.

Back
Top Bottom