Poop on just marans eggs each day

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
I've noticed that my Marans eggs always have a good chunk of dried poop on them. 18 mo old.

Is that a worming issue? I havent seen worms in any poop anywhere.

Never seems to happen with the other breeds and it's each lay. Why?

Thank for your thoughts!

Not worms. If they did have a worm infestation however, you wouldn't likely see any anyway.
Perhaps that bird takes a different path to the nest which takes her under the roost or somewhere else she steps into feces and tracks it into the nest.
It is extremely unlikely that the feces comes out when the egg does. Read that as impossible. Even though there is only one exit, the cloaca, the digestive and reproductive tracts are completely separate and when an egg is laid, the vagina moves in such a way to completely isolate the two systems.
There is also the possibility that she defecates in the nest while she is waiting to release the egg. That usually doesn't happen but is possible.

Not worms. If they did have a worm infestation however, you wouldn't likely see any anyway.
Perhaps that bird takes a different path to the nest which takes her under the roost or somewhere else she steps into feces and tracks it into the nest.
It is extremely unlikely that the feces comes out when the egg does. Read that as impossible. Even though there is only one exit, the cloaca, the digestive and reproductive tracts are completely separate and when an egg is laid, the vagina moves in such a way to completely isolate the two systems.
There is also the possibility that she defecates in the nest while she is waiting to release the egg. That usually doesn't happen but is possible.
Coop and path to nest always clean. She always has clean feet so we think she just can't control it.

Thanks for chiming in!

Back
Top Bottom