Dirty Bird

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have a dirty birdie. She’s an Austra White and about three months old. She lives with four other pullets her age and three pullets two months older. Their coop and run has sand, and sometimes they go out in the yard for grass in a covered pen (sometimes because I’m still building it and it’s not predator proof so they can’t be in it unless I’m out there).

She is a top-rooster and doesn’t get pooped on. I don’t see any bugs or eggs on she or the rest of the flock, and her vent is poop-free. My light Brahma (her BFF) is bright white, even though they do the exact same thing...they‘re attached at the wing.

She was bright white until she went to live outside...now she’s yellow. Is this normal? How is her BFF white and she looks dirty? Maybe I should have named her Linus.... Do I bathe her or just let her be a dirty bird?

Attachments

• AE5CC26E-0814-4BC6-9189-6E612A255C1E.jpeg
    AE5CC26E-0814-4BC6-9189-6E612A255C1E.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 27
  • BAFB05E5-1585-4354-95A4-1BD2764B1338.jpeg
    BAFB05E5-1585-4354-95A4-1BD2764B1338.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 11
I have a dirty birdie. She’s an Austra White and about three months old. She lives with four other pullets her age and three pullets two months older. Their coop and run has sand, and sometimes they go out in the yard for grass in a covered pen (sometimes because I’m still building it and it’s not predator proof so they can’t be in it unless I’m out there).

She is a top-rooster and doesn’t get pooped on. I don’t see any bugs or eggs on she or the rest of the flock, and her vent is poop-free. My light Brahma (her BFF) is bright white, even though they do the exact same thing...they‘re attached at the wing.

She was bright white until she went to live outside...now she’s yellow. Is this normal? How is her BFF white and she looks dirty? Maybe I should have named her Linus.... Do I bathe her or just let her be a dirty bird?
Being dirty helps get rid of bugs, dust bathing will do this. Don't wash your bird, white feathers can never stay white can they?

0FA2B0B2-025F-4AAE-BADC-96100212D5CD.jpeg
B7979CB7-7137-4628-83B8-5E963DF248E0.jpeg

View attachment 2789638View attachment 2789639
Being dirty helps get rid of bugs, dust bathing will do this. Don't wash your bird, white feathers can never stay white can they?

Hi! This also happened to my California Whites. As they got their adult feathers they had a tinge of yellow or very light brown. I too thought they were dirty at first! Here’s a picture it’s shows well around her face and neck:

Attachments

• 54A4ABBD-F23E-4CC5-ADEF-8E493CC55954.jpeg
    54A4ABBD-F23E-4CC5-ADEF-8E493CC55954.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom