Dirty butt question

I just cleaned the worst one's butt. Oh my, it was caked on all the way to the cloaca, don't know how anything could get past it.
Maybe it couldn't.
Just keep an eye on her and might need to trim some feathers.
Poop doesn't look too bad to me.

I trimmed some of the feathers when I was cleaning her, what a mess she was. She got away from me once and I had poop droplets all over my bathroom. Yuck. Yes, the poop looks ok to me just kind of runny and wet. I've watched her for several poops and they are all like this. Almost like they aren't inside long enough to lose fluid and get more formed. Oh well, I'll watch her closely and give them all dairy kefir (more probiotices than yogurt and I make it myself for me). Once Tuesday rolls around and I go back to work, I can't watch her quite so close.

The poop doesn't look all that odd to me.

Do all your hens have dirty butts, or just some of them? Some hens are more prone to some poop sticking on their rear feathers -- they might have very fluffy feathers, or there is something they about they way they go to the bathroom. I've also noticed that dirty butts tend to start as hens resume laying. Their cloaca expands and loosens, and that can make for some sloppiness in the dropping process.

If all of them have very dirty butts, I would suspect something else might be afoot, and would have them tested for worms and cocci.

If it is just a few, I would examine to make sure the poop isn't blocking things, sticking to the skin, and that the vent looks normal and clean. Then clean off the dried poop and perhaps trim the feathers a bit under the vent area.

Last edited:
I trimmed some of the feathers when I was cleaning her, what a mess she was. She got away from me once and I had poop droplets all over my bathroom. Yuck. Yes, the poop looks ok to me just kind of runny and wet. I've watched her for several poops and they are all like this. Almost like they aren't inside long enough to lose fluid and get more formed. Oh well, I'll watch her closely and give them all dairy kefir (more probiotices than yogurt and I make it myself for me). Once Tuesday rolls around and I go back to work, I can't watch her quite so close.
I was writing while you were posting. This sounds good (well maybe not the poop droplets in the bathroom part). Hopefully, she will stay clean and you should have a pretty good idea by Tuesday what the situation is.

Am very close to gagging, tub bathed a dirty butted bird once, never again. :sick

Oh well, I'll watch her closely and give them all dairy kefir (more probiotices than yogurt and I make it myself for me).
What all and how exactly do you normally feed?
Not sure probiotics will help.
But I tend to keep things simple,
good chicken ration and plain water,
other things can confuse symptoms and give false signs of digestive function.

Do all your hens have dirty butts, or just some of them?
Good question.

I feed layer pellets and plain water. Water is changed daily and waterers washed and bleached at least once a week. They do get some scraps as treats, but since I know how to cook what we'll actually eat, it's not much. Maybe a tablespoon of leftover mashed potatoes or vegetables and then only a couple times a week. They really love the kefir and rice, so I may do that a week or so more and see if it changes the butt situation but I'm not inclined to do it long term. They get enough bugs and stuff they really don't need supplementation and I'm not big on treats.

Rooster's butt has never gotten dirty. Out of 9 hens, this one was the worst, one other has enough that I feel the need to clean her up but isn't as bad as this one was, 2 others have slight debris more often than not and the rest have clean feathers.

I will admit that the coop wasn't kept as clean this winter as I usually do because husband has been in the hospital, then company comes because they think this'll be the last time they get to see him, we come home and he needs so much assistance but now company is gone and I'm on my own, so some things slide. 10 days hospitalization easily turns into a month of life in turmoil.

Sending you lots of strength and sympathy with your husband's situation. You're doing a great job. Hang in there and don't be hard on yourself for the upkeep. The chickens are going to be fine and you're doing a lot already. Do make sure you get a chance to take care of yourself too.

I feed layer pellets and plain water. Water is changed daily and waterers washed and bleached at least once a week. They do get some scraps as treats, but since I know how to cook what we'll actually eat, it's not much. Maybe a tablespoon of leftover mashed potatoes or vegetables and then only a couple times a week. They really love the kefir and rice, so I may do that a week or so more and see if it changes the butt situation but I'm not inclined to do it long term. They get enough bugs and stuff they really don't need supplementation and I'm not big on treats.

Rooster's butt has never gotten dirty. Out of 9 hens, this one was the worst, one other has enough that I feel the need to clean her up but isn't as bad as this one was, 2 others have slight debris more often than not and the rest have clean feathers.

I will admit that the coop wasn't kept as clean this winter as I usually do because husband has been in the hospital, then company comes because they think this'll be the last time they get to see him, we come home and he needs so much assistance but now company is gone and I'm on my own, so some things slide. 10 days hospitalization easily turns into a month of life in turmoil.

Could the feed have gotten moldy? Or maybe the scratch grains? Or is it because there hasn’t been enough dry loose soil for a good dust bath to keep things clean down there (not sure where you are in AL but here in TN it’s been so wet this winter)? I had been keeping my feed outside in one of those galvanized metal garbage cans and noticed condensation inside one day - so I stopped keeping feed outside then and there. I’m so paranoid about mold. Have you tried maybe adding dried oregano to their food? I also stopped giving mine scratch grain treats at bedtime on really cold nights... just curious. I’m a relative beginner and learning by reading these posts. Best of luck!

Tanya, if you read the thread you would know that I don't feed treats or very little when I do and that I do not feed scratch grains. No, my food is not moldy. It is kept in the garage and is kept dry and sealed against moisture. Yes, it has been a very wet winter, but all the sand I have put down drains their area very well and they have in and under the coop and 2 other structures where they are sheltered from the weather and the ground stays dry. Those areas are all cleaned of poop regularly. I'm wondering if the rain creates puddles in their dust bath depressions and they drink this dirty water (as all animals do). They actually even have a pan of peat moss, sand, wood ashes and potting soil in which to dust bathe.

Back
Top Bottom