Dirty Chickens

SandyC

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
The Flint Hills, Kansas
My chickens, especially the white Roos, are looking pretty dirty since I have had to keep them in the barn for the winter. I keep their coop pretty clean. Is there something that I can supply them with to give them the chance to clean up? They are normally free ranged.

Maybe a big box of dry, clean sand? If they could dustbathe, they might be happier and their feathers would get more attention? Just my guess since I don't have white chickens.

Our poor Leghorn looks like she's been making mud pies. No idea what to do for her. Rain + Dirt = Mud on a bird, I guess.

I did see a woman in a movie wash and blow-dry her silky.
tongue.png

I did see a woman in a movie wash and blow-dry her silky.

We think that we remember that movie too. Do you recall the name of it?​

I was kind of wondering what to do about this too, but with younger chicks in this crappy SE Tx weather that can't make up it's mind if it wants to be 84* or 44*. So my chicks get wet and their feathers are all fonky when ppl come to look at them and it makes it look like I care for them poorly. I put fresh hay to help, and even put oyster shell in one of the brooders to see if that did better than hay....
Anyone have better ideas as water, wind, and chick poop aren't the best combo...
TIA,
Kristi
P.S I have tried wood chips too

Here is the documentary.
You can buy it at shoppbs.org or get it on Netflix.
p1187691dt.jpg

DVD description:
Most people best know the chicken from their dinner plates -- whether as thigh, wing or drumstick. Consumers barely pause a moment to consider the bird's many virtues. Filmmaker Mark Lewis (Cane Toads: An Unnatural History and Rat) expands the frontiers of popular awareness and delightfully reveals that this small, common and seemingly simple animal is as complex and grand as any of Earth's creatures.

Last edited:
Kristi--good luck. I'm in the same boat. When it rains, the pens are muddy, and everyone looks like they're at the spa. After a few days, the mud dries some, and they're clean again. I've given up on what to do for them. As long as they aren't acting sick, I'm willing to tolerate it. I just make sure they have something to roost on so they have a chance to clean themselves up some.

Thanks Stacey. I put them outside in an open 'aviary' type thing today w/a light on them so they would get a chance for a breeze to help 'ruffle their feathers'
smile.png
When it gets a bit cooler & rainier I guess I'll just put up some plastic maybe ? Just a poor time of year to have chicks really. If ppl don't understand that then they shouldn't be buying chix I guess.
hmm.png

Kristi

I have a tarp up over my run, mostly to keep the snow out - but it gives the girls space to run around, fluff in the dirt whatever they need to do, and its all nice and dry!

Back
Top Bottom