Dirty Eggs for Sale!?

"Dirty eggs suggest to me a person too busy to have hens"
Are you kidding me? My chickens have 3 pristine and clean egg boxes but still choose
to lay their eggs sometimes in the muddy run. Sorry, I don't have a weather control
device to prevent the rain.

Most of our eggs are spotless. Some are a bit dirty and others are big turds.

Last edited:
I apologize.. my usual harsh self.. judged like im judged.. I could not eat an egg that had poop on it. before or after cleaning . and i dont eat the shell either.. the egg white sticks to the shell and some of the germs would come off into the opened egg.
Probably the nurses training i had.. knowing how germs travel and how hard they are to kill.
In my youth, from child to grownup i had trouble eating eggs because of where they came from.. at least give me credit for being able to eat a clean egg. I dont like to wash them, this leaves them open to even more germs getting inside them and then of course i would not eat them.
Salmanella kills... and if the egg is undercooked.. (over easy) (sunny side up) the germs multiply to the billions. EColi is a killer. and where does e coli live? In poop.
I guess i just have too much time to think, and ive read too much. Ive seen country people just take a finger nail and flick it off and go on.. then i see that string of white as it falls from the shell edge and i see germs.. millions of germs getting into the food..
But you can be glad for me that at least now at 62 i can enjoy a smooth round and shinny beautiful egg with out planning on the pepto bismol for desert.
And my customers say that my eggs are the cleanest they have ever seen.
If I do have to wash one or two every now and then, I give them a guick rub with a little crisco oil on a wet cloth to try and seal them back again and i use them that same day. cant be too careful when salmanella and e coli are concerned.

I do apologize for the guick, glib remark..i did not mean it ugly.. i didnt one of those talking to a black hole out in the internet one can forget a person is out there listening.. jdy

I wash my one dirty egg, that my one stupid hen lays in the run every day. I use a dish washing brush that is used solely for this, and scrub it under some running water, with a touch of vegetable soap. I then dry it with a clean cloth. It then goes in to the egg carton with the clean eggs that the rest of the hens were thoughtful enough to lay in the nest box. I can't see how any germs are going to be introduced to the one egg I cleaned the bloom off. I keep the eggs in the fridge until eaten, and they are not handled other than when cracking them into the pan.

I could see that washing the bloom off may be a problem if an egg was to be left unrefrigerated, or exposed to dirt, or droppings after. Otherwise how is a cleaned egg going to become bacteria laden?? I can't see this as anymore dangerous to ones health than eating lettuce picked from the manure supplemented garden, after a simple rinsing.

Quote:
Bill:

I agree with you. As a consumer I would be offended and appalled if I purchased eggs that were dirty. The whole "keep the bloom" is a moot point and overblown by those that continue to eschew egg washing.

If you are selling eggs, you should provide a clean, wholesome product. This means the eggs should be free of dirt and other visible contaminants.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Bill:

I agree with you. As a consumer I would be offended and appalled if I purchased eggs that were dirty. The whole "keep the bloom" is a moot point and overblown by those that continue to eschew egg washing.

If you are selling eggs, you should provide a clean, wholesome product. This means the eggs should be free of dirt and other visible contaminants.

Jim

"Keep the bloom" is not a moot point if you don't store your eggs in a refrigerator. I tested this theory last Fall. Washed eggs at room temperature lasted 6 days before they showed signs of gas build-up (float test). Unwashed bloomed eggs were still fresh at 14 days. I plan on repeating this experiment this Summer and will see just how long unwashed eggs will stay fresh.
If you refrigerate them, it doesn't matter. For the record, I wash dirty eggs that will be sold and they go in the refrigerator immediately. Clean eggs stay at room temperature until sold (usually less than a week).​

Somehow the conversation seems to be against selling dirty eggs or washing them.. i prefer to keep them clean in the first place. I usually spinkle grass clippings or put fresh hay in the nest before it gets dirty with feces.. I dont have a problem with mud.. or dont remember having trouble with mud.
Germs grow in a refrigerator, just slower. most refrigerators are 40 degrees and that only makes a germ angry.
I hate so that Ive put that lady on the defensive.. Its just that I know so well how germs work and how to shut em down or slow em down that I cant keep my mouth shut easily.
Remember the child who had diahrea in a swimming pool and a 2 year old died of e coli over it? Chlorine water.. sunshine, still that one germ made it into that little girls system.
When dealing with poop, you cant be too careful.
Another thing I learned as a nurse.. if you wash with hot or even warm water you cause a rush of growth in the germs.. cold water is the best way to wash them, the cold water immobilizes the germs some of them and they get washed off, otherwise they hang in there and multiply.
and of course we know you cant use hot water....
Yes, ive had poopy eggs. every one has.. its impossible not to..but Prevention is the best protection.. in every thing... use the time washing eggs to prevent it..
please dont mind me and feel insulted. i truly meant to inform.. and that smarty remark was probably made one night after mid night when i didnt know what i wrote til after i hit enter.. like i was talking to my daughter or something.. im sorry.
jdy

Quote:
Bill:

Jim

"Keep the bloom" is not a moot point if you don't store your eggs in a refrigerator. I tested this theory last Fall. Washed eggs at room temperature lasted 6 days before they showed signs of gas build-up (float test). Unwashed bloomed eggs were still fresh at 14 days. I plan on repeating this experiment this Summer and will see just how long unwashed eggs will stay fresh.
If you refrigerate them, it doesn't matter. For the record, I wash dirty eggs that will be sold and they go in the refrigerator immediately. Clean eggs stay at room temperature until sold (usually less than a week).

here i go again... its proven not theory that germs start to grow in an egg almost immdeately.. why would you keep them at room temperature? the refrigerator slows down the growth of bacteria..
egg sellers who are inspected have to prove that their eggs are refrigerated immediately after gathering and they have to gather several times a day.
ohh i must sleep more.. or get duct tape for my fingers... woo is the old woman who has lived too long.. jdy
www.aeb.org/foodservice/eggsafety.htm

Last edited:
we get dirty eggs sometimes, by lazy hens that lay on the ground!! Most of my hens lay in the nesting boxes.. but sometimes an egg gets broken and that is the yuckiest messy egg!!
I wipe them with a slightly moistened paper towel, if they are really dirty I wash them and really scrub! and use them right away, because they will go bad faster if you scrub away at the shell!
We built up the front of the nesting boxes too because the hens would kick out the straw, so keeping the straw in keeps the eggs cleaner.
especially with feather legged hens, and a rainy day!

Quote:
If you refrigerate them, it doesn't matter. For the record, I wash dirty eggs that will be sold and they go in the refrigerator immediately. Clean eggs stay at room temperature until sold (usually less than a week).

here i go again... its proven not theory that germs start to grow in an egg almost immdeately.. why would you keep them at room temperature? the refrigerator slows down the growth of bacteria..
egg sellers who are inspected have to prove that their eggs are refrigerated immediately after gathering and they have to gather several times a day.
ohh i must sleep more.. or get duct tape for my fingers... woo is the old woman who has lived too long.. jdy
www.aeb.org/foodservice/eggsafety.htm

Im not referring to freshness.. im referring to the amount of germs in the egg or rather on the egg that CAN soak into the egg. SE a bad one.. can also be in the tract of a chicken and inside the egg.. making it more inportant to refrigerate immediately and to cook it throughly. another reason to keep their living quarters as clean as possible. a whole new subject...uchoo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom