Egg Sales

Dusty Chicken

Crowing
13 Years
May 3, 2010
NW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
For the first time I am thinking about selling my excess eggs. In the past I have always given away my excess to friends and neighbors but the feed is becoming so expensive that I am tempted to put a cooler at the end of my driveway and post a for sale sign when I have extra. I don’t have a huge surplus maybe 2-3 dozen per week. Have any of you tried this tactic? How did you collect the funds? Was it worth the time and effort? Did you get robbed? Any advice you can give would be great, Thank you!

For the first time I am thinking about selling my excess eggs. In the past I have always given away my excess to friends and neighbors but the feed is becoming so expensive that I am tempted to put a cooler at the end of my driveway and post a for sale sign when I have extra. I don’t have a huge surplus maybe 2-3 dozen per week. Have any of you tried this tactic? How did you collect the funds? Was it worth the time and effort? Did you get robbed? Any advice you can give would be great, Thank you!
I think most do a 'honesty box' where they have the price and a box that people put money in/take change of when they collect the eggs. Obviously you'll run the possibility of a bad apple. But it seems to work decent for people that don't solely depend on the money

I think most do a 'honesty box' where they have the price and a box that people put money in/take change of when they collect the eggs. Obviously you'll run the possibility of a bad apple. But it seems to work decent for people that don't solely depend on the money
I have been wondering if the ‘honesty box’ should be a coffee can in the cooler or screwed off to a post outside to cooler. I am leaning towards just a container in the cooler and if its gets stolen then I am no worse off than I am now.

Do I tell them the eggs are from chickens feed orgainic feed and the eggs are unwashed? Would that be helpful to people? How much information do you provide to your customers?

I have been wondering if the ‘honesty box’ should be a coffee can in the cooler or screwed off to a post outside to cooler. I am leaning towards just a container in the cooler and if its gets stolen then I am no worse off than I am now.

Do I tell them the eggs are from chickens feed orgainic feed and the eggs are unwashed? Would that be helpful to people? How much information do you provide to your customers?
I don't sell eggs apart from Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I just say that I have different colors and that they're 2 bucks a dozen. I take the cash at work and deliver eggs the same day. I don't do the honesty box since that requires traffic, which I don't get here

I've sold some from home but I donate to needy organizations most of our surplus. After we sold off most of our surplus hens we just don't have that many extra eggs now after we hatch some.

My neighbor does a cooler under a sheltered cubby on the driveway with a Ring cam and a cash box nailed to a post. Yes you run the risk of folks stealing but that's kinda the risk you take with a set up like that.

Back
Top Bottom