Dirty feathers and lice treatment

MMerriman3

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
Hello,
I treated my chickens for lice about 4 weeks ago. I used the strong 1 time treatment stuff. Nothing is crawling on them, some of the eggs are still attached to the feathers, but i check thoroughly and no mites are crawling around on any of my hens. Do those feathers that are covered in eggs eventually fall off? I'm worried about 1 of my chickens who had lice the worst out of them all. Her feathers around her vent area are just falling out. Random bald patches. Is that pretty typical after treatment? She also has a problem with a dirty vent area. Poop is always sticking to her feathers! I have tried trimming and nothing seems to work. She's got a big clump right now. So I have her sit in a "luke warm bath?"

What is the strong 1 time treatment stuff?

Photos may be helpful.

Some folks pluck out the worst feathers if there's a lot of lice nits on those.
Sounds like they are falling out on their own.

Some hens are messier than others and have to be cleaned up now and again. Get a fecal float through your vet to check and make sure worms are not part of the problem.

What is the strong 1 time treatment stuff?

Photos may be helpful.

Some folks pluck out the worst feathers if there's a lot of lice nits on those.
Sounds like they are falling out on their own.

Some hens are messier than others and have to be cleaned up now and again. Get a fecal float through your vet to check and make sure worms are not part of the problem.
Elector psp. I spent a lot of time on each bird treating them from top to bottom. She was the worst. I didn't see them on 3 of my other hens, but they still got treatment.

Elector PSP is supposed to be very good.

If she has a lot of nits, you can apply a little coconut oil to help dissolve them so they come off easier, then give her a cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom