Dirty tail feathers, bright red underneath

Dan0uch

Hatching
Aug 19, 2018
Hi guys. My mom has 6 hens, and one of them has a problem. It has had dirty tail feathers for a while. My mom read that she should cut or pull these feathers out, which she did, and this is what it looks like under there. Does anyone recognize what this could be? The other 5 hens are all healthy, and this one seems to be eating and getting around normally. Thanks in advance!
8mRIOUZ.jpg

Hi guys. My mom has 6 hens, and one of them has a problem. It has had dirty tail feathers for a while. My mom read that she should cut or pull these feathers out, which she did, and this is what it looks like under there. Does anyone recognize what this could be? The other 5 hens are all healthy, and this one seems to be eating and getting around normally. Thanks in advance!
8mRIOUZ.jpg
hello there-I too have a hen with the identical issue; we used DE and dusted for mites and lice. the problem did not go away completely but it did not worsen. i will be curious to see what others have to say

Welcome to BYC. It looks red probably, from the feathers being pulled out. There could be some lice present, so I would check for tiny bugs and lice eggs which are clumps at the base of feathers, under the vent. Part the remaining feathers and look around. Lice eggs can make the festhers a little ratty and poop magnets. If you see any, treat with permethrin every 10 days at least 3 times. Does her lower belly feel enlarged compared to the other chickens? It looks a little enlarged, but probably just due to plucking feathers. I would just keep the poo washed off since flies can lay maggot eggs in hot weather, and they can cause deadly flystrike. Here is a good thread about lice and eggs and pictures:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Our old hen and a couple others have the same. I just leave them be and they do well. And instead of removing the feathers, it is better if you give a bubble bath. Just soak in slightly soapy water, and redo twice in unsoapy water. Run soap though feathers during first soak. After all that examine water and chicken for mites.

Is she still laying eggs? Tell your mom to keep an eye on her bottom, just in case it is slightly enlarged. Sometimes internal laying or ascites can cause an enlarged lower belly. As I said, most chicken bottoms look enlarged when they are bare of feathers, so it may not really be enlarged. DE will not treat lice or mites, but permethrin spray is very safe and it works. It is sold at feed stores in concentrate that you can mix with water to use on chickens and coop.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. No lice or mites present as far as we can see, so I'll just have her make sure to keep the hen cleaned up and watch for any other abnormalities.

Back
Top Bottom