Disappearing nine patch block swap

I am done with all 24 of my blocks.

They went very quickly, however I had to go shopping for more greens because I wasn't counting correctly when I cut the squares and ran out. All the lavendar/purple squares are the same in each block, but the greens vary because much of what I had were just fat quarters.

This is the reason I took so long getting my UR blocks done. For several years now, my sewing room has become the catch-all room for everything, including boxes and boxes of my classroom books and supplies. It had gotten so bad that I could not even get to my sewing table to sew anymore. I was tired of hauling the sewing machine, ironing board and cutting board out to the kitchen table, only to have to "right" everything before supper. I have decided that I probably will not go back to teaching, but a niece (god daughter) and one of our daughters are going that route in college. I didn't want to just give away of all the teaching stuff because over the years it has cost me in the thousands of dollars to acquire and I felt that saving most of it and giving it to my niece and daughter as they begin teaching would be the best route. In November, I started going through the room, box by box and bag by bag. Many car loads were donated and what we were keeping went into plastic storage bins that I could put into the storage area of our basement (I had spent a month going through that room also). When I could finally walk and move around my sewing room, I decided that I needed to go through my fabric stash and pull out all of the quilting fabric and designate a spot of its own that was easily accessible. The other factor to getting this room done is that I have been saving my money up, little by little to buy a quilting machine and frame and I happened upon a decent used one that was a good value. I bought it! I have not set it up or used it yet, but that hopefully will be happening soon. Here is a picture our what I did with my quilting fabric. It is so much nicer to get at and I'm loving the fact that my room is Mine again.

nice now if I could get my sewing room done still waiting on electricity to be run to it. the previous owners closed in the back porch very nicely and there is a little room that is crying to be made into a sewing room it would have lots of room just for me. but for now I have my sewing table set up in the corner of the living room that is an incentive for the DH to hurry up because of course I feel like sewing when the good shows are on.!!
big_smile.png
I know I'm bad.

katsdar - it sounds like it will be a perfect place for your own sewing room! Mine is just a little room in our basement, so it doesn't have much natural light, but I like it.

minniechicks - cat litter buckets are excellent storage for just about everything. We use them for many things!

yes my little room has two windows in it so I get lots of natural light, I will really get to work on it when it warms up, it has a door so the heat that does go on to the back porch doesn't make it into that room, so fans in the summer and space heater in the winter I'm guessing.

Last edited:
I had to order a yellow , not here yet. The one I got at LQS looked great inside the shop but when I got it home it was a light lemon color when it was with the purples and lavenders the whole thing looked like a Easter project.
katsdar your sewing room sounds like a good plan, I took over our guest room and feel guilty all the time when company is coming. I can clean up a lot but still fabric and sewing machines can only be put so far way.

I am done with all 24 of my blocks. They went very quickly, however I had to go shopping for more greens because I wasn't counting correctly when I cut the squares and ran out. All the lavendar/purple squares are the same in each block, but the greens vary because much of what I had were just fat quarters. This is the reason I took so long getting my UR blocks done. For several years now, my sewing room has become the catch-all room for everything, including boxes and boxes of my classroom books and supplies. It had gotten so bad that I could not even get to my sewing table to sew anymore. I was tired of hauling the sewing machine, ironing board and cutting board out to the kitchen table, only to have to "right" everything before supper. I have decided that I probably will not go back to teaching, but a niece (god daughter) and one of our daughters are going that route in college. I didn't want to just give away of all the teaching stuff because over the years it has cost me in the thousands of dollars to acquire and I felt that saving most of it and giving it to my niece and daughter as they begin teaching would be the best route. In November, I started going through the room, box by box and bag by bag. Many car loads were donated and what we were keeping went into plastic storage bins that I could put into the storage area of our basement (I had spent a month going through that room also). When I could finally walk and move around my sewing room, I decided that I needed to go through my fabric stash and pull out all of the quilting fabric and designate a spot of its own that was easily accessible. The other factor to getting this room done is that I have been saving my money up, little by little to buy a quilting machine and frame and I happened upon a decent used one that was a good value. I bought it! I have not set it up or used it yet, but that hopefully will be happening soon. Here is a picture our what I did with my quilting fabric. It is so much nicer to get at and I'm loving the fact that my room is Mine again.
Coldupnorth~can you come to my house!!?? :fl I have the same problem. My craft room has become the catch all! Just a path to walk thru. That was/is my project this winter, but haven't made it in there yet. Your's looks so nice! That may give me an incentive!!! All of my material is in totes. But if one of the girls or myself need something for a quick project, it has gotten ransacked, so, it is a mess. I sew on a small sewing table (in which I dug out of craft room to sew urr pieces) in the tv room. I normally use a cardtable, but I like the sewing table better. Not very practical, and crowded when company comes. Maybe one day I will get it together! :/ And your quilt block looks very nice! I haven't had a chance to go get my material yet! :rolleyes: hoping this thursday!

Last edited:
Quote: It has been on my to-do list for a few years now and I just decided to let other things go till I was basically done with it. The room is also home to family games & books (and we are a reading family), crafts, sleeping bags and extra blankets/bedding and it serves as an extra bedroom for family when they all come to visit. We don't put our parents down there (lots of stairs and no bathroom); for that we kick a kid out of their bedroom and hope that they have it decently clean. I understand about making a bigger mess when you need to get something out of a bin. That was happening here too. We have another graduation coming this Spring, so we needed to make sure that space was available for family to sleep, since no one lives near us.
Once you get your fabric and cut it, you are done with the hard part of this block.
wink.png
I seriously went very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom