Disappointed

Hottchick

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
I live in one of the most rural towns you could imagine in Eastern North Carolina. I have about an acre of property and was planning on raising a few chickens for their eggs. I have just discovered that our town ordinance requires a permit and 20,000 square feet of space for each animal. Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous before? I am really disappointed that I won't be able to have any chickens.

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure that the ordinance is for chickens and not some other larger animal like a cow or horse?

ETA - Just did the conversion, that would be like just under a half acre per chicken. I would re-read the ordinance.

Last edited:
Well, at least you know you can have TWO chickens, on your acre!
roll.png

you should call and inquire an chickens, that is likely for livestock, large livestock. I am in a totally different country but we have the same ordinance and they said it is meant strickly for horses and cow, aswell as any other large mammals. When I told them it didn't specify on chickens they told me that small hobby farming is allowed with no permits required, so I could have chickens and ducks, even bees if I wanted goats etc...give them a call you might be surprised!!

I know, it is absolutely ridiculous but they classified chickens as livestock. I will try to investigate further and see what I can do. I really want to pursue this.

It States:

Section 10-4 Permits for wild animals and Livestock

a. Nor person may keep within the town any permissible wild animal or livestock over four months of age except in accordance with a permit issued pursuant to this section.

b. (relates to wild animals, not relevant)

c. No permit may be issued for any livestock unless the applicant for the permit demonstrates that the livestock will be kept on a tract of land that satisfies each of the following conditions:

1. The tract shall consist of at least 40,00 square feet of land under single ownership or control;

2. There shall be at least 20,00 square feet of land per animal;

3. No fence, corral, or similar enclosure shall be erected or maintained within 25 feet of any property line or street right of way line.

I'm seriously considering ignoring the fact that I know the ordinance and just taking my chances and doing what I want anyway. If anyone complains, I can go from there. I'm really torn.

Back
Top Bottom