Discolored vent- lethargic sick hen. Graphic image.

heylauramae

Hatching
Jul 27, 2021
Hi everyone this is my first post. I have owned chickens for 3 years now, and this is not my first experience with a sick chicken, however it is my first experience with this particular problem, which I cant quite decide what is wrong.

I was just away on vacation for a long weekend (have an automatic coop door, and a mother who came by to fill up feed and water)....and upon returning I have one very sick chicken. I saw her in the dust bath (tire) first thing this morning, didn't think anything of it... however, at lunch time I noticed she was in it, still- now I realize she probably never moved out of it. I went out and picked her up and discovered she had a pretty dirty bottom area, I thought maybe vent gleet or something? So i filled an epsom salt bath up in a basin outside and put her in it, gloved up, and worked at the stuck on feces.. I popped a glove off and snapped a pic........ her vent looks....... bruised? Like, purple/blue almost. It is very strange. She was very messy around her bottom and the area certainly doesnt look normal- many missing feathers. I have isolated her in a dog crate now... she hasn't moved from where I set her down, she just lays and closes her eyes.

I plan to give her dropper with vetrx? And some electrolyte water? Im not sure what else to do, as I can't figure out what
the issue is.
1627406859815.png

1627406842102.png

That's an injury of some kind and I would guess the diarrhea is a trauma reaction. It sounds like you're doing everything right. I have had great success with salt water soaks. Just warm, salty water. It reduces inflammation as well as infection. I sure hope the poor girl recovers.

That's an injury of some kind and I would guess the diarrhea is a trauma reaction. It sounds like you're doing everything right. I have had great success with salt water soaks. Just warm, salty water. It reduces inflammation as well as infection. I sure hope the poor girl recovers.
Thank you so much for your response. Do you have any insight or thought as to what could cause this kind of injury? Does it seem like something that could happen from other hens picking on her? They are all enclosed and do not free range, so unlikely that any predator got to her..

Thank you so much for your response. Do you have any insight or thought as to what could cause this kind of injury? Does it seem like something that could happen from other hens picking on her? They are all enclosed and do not free range, so unlikely that any predator got to her..

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Her abdomen below the vent appears bloated to me in the picture, is that the case?
I actually do not know her age - I took her in from an acquaintance a few months ago who was trying to thin out the size of his flock and get into breeding and just keeping the specific breeds that he wanted. She was in good health then, laying daily. That was about 2.5-3 months ago. I do think that her abdomen felt slightly bloated, squishy.. I couldn't feel any egg in there but admittedly I didn't really push around or do TOO much investigation- I could not say for certain when she laid last, as we were just away for 4 days, and I likely wouldn't know the answer to that even if we hadn't been away unless I happen to catch her in the act...there are 9 others so, hard to tell. Are you implying you think she could be egg bound? I can try to do a more in depth examination. She won't even stand, she has been laying in the same place.

I hate to think a child got to her. They can do mean things some times.

I actually do not know her age - I took her in from an acquaintance a few months ago who was trying to thin out the size of his flock and get into breeding and just keeping the specific breeds that he wanted. She was in good health then, laying daily. That was about 2.5-3 months ago. I do think that her abdomen felt slightly bloated, squishy.. I couldn't feel any egg in there but admittedly I didn't really push around or do TOO much investigation- I could not say for certain when she laid last, as we were just away for 4 days, and I likely wouldn't know the answer to that even if we hadn't been away unless I happen to catch her in the act...there are 9 others so, hard to tell. Are you implying you think she could be egg bound? I can try to do a more in depth examination. She won't even stand, she has been laying in the same place.
I wouldn't do too much examination on her--she needs recovery time. She's definitely injured so she needs a quiet, dark place to rest for a few days. Plenty of liquids and warm salt water baths.

I don't think she's egg bound. But a bloated abdomen and droppings built up around the vent are common signs that there is a reproductive problem. Those can include cancers, infections, or internal laying. It is not uncommon, especially in birds over the age of 2 years. I would crate her, monitor her eating and drinking, keep her quite and warm. If it's water balloon like then it could be ascites, which is fluid build up in the abdomen from a liver that's leaking, that often accompanies reproductive problems. That combined with her lethargy and not wanting to move, suggest it may be advanced.

Back
Top Bottom