Discovered! The Ultimate chicken toy!

I only feed them unsalted, un-roasted, raw peanuts. You could use anything, tho, BOSS, even their regular layer feed and scratch would all work. They can't seem to resist food in different forms and from different sources.

Or those dog treat containers that you can put in food.

Or find a tree stump, carve out a hole in the center like a bowl, and make some large holes in the side to put some treats in it. Very similar to the chimps, making them work to get their food out of the objects with straws, fingers, etc.

See? Good ideas generate other good ideas!

And thank you for the compliments on my girls. They're a pretty good-looking bunch!

Hi, Just had a thought I wonder if you could put live meal works in there. I would think something moving in a bag would really make them nut. Thanks for stimulating my mind. Terri

Those are some great ideas!

On a side note: sure, your birds are beautiful; but, how in the world do you keep your coop/run so pristine?!
ep.gif

It looks like your birds just moved in... About 5 minutes ago... Are they potty trained or something?

That's a great idea. I'm sure what ever if any plastic they ingest would go right through. Now if you did the same in styrofaom, silly birds would enjoy every last squeak and there would be no stryo left.

My cockatiel will find the pastic bags his treats are in when I'm not watching and start to crack open seeds. However, hasn't quite gotten down the whole idea that cracking seeds inside the bag, does him no good untill after he tears the bag open. I have a bag of half cracked open seeds... shells and seeds enclosed in a bag. LOL

Thanks for all the compliments!

In the very beginning, I would bring them pine beetles that I'd saved in a plastic bag as I was splitting wood. That's what got them to associate plastic bags with goodies. And yes, they can see through the bag to what's inside, and if it's moving, the reaction is proportionately greater!

As for the pen being so pristine, I'm afraid that they have a very compulsive human maid who cleans their pen several times a day (goes quickly) with a cat box scooper. No smell and no flies in summer!

Back
Top Bottom