Discuss egg buying on BYC versus Ebay

I have purchased hatching eggs both from BYC members and from eBay. I have had great success with BYC members' eggs. I've had pretty good success with eBay eggs--considering I only buy from those with very good feedback record. That being said, I'm inclined to recommend eggs from BYC members, if you can find the breeds you are looking for. Most BYC members really care that you are getting quality eggs from quality chickens.
wink.png

i sell alot of eggs on ebay and byc. now that i have read this post, i am now going to add my byc name to all my ebay adds just to let people know that stand behind the quality of the eggs i sell. if a byc member was to see my add bid and win and then have a problem thats not corrected they can easily post the problem here on byc. the problem with ebay is anyone can post a add for eggs to sell and they may be two weeks old but say there fresh. to many scammers looking to make a buck. but there are also some realy good breeders that sell on ebay. they use the shippng eggs is a gamble and send junk eggs out anyway. i have 100 percent feedback and plan on keeping it that way. i also have had two people that have had 15 out of 15 hatch. unbleiveable i know. just one problem though there are not byc members. wish they were. ok i am done rambling......

I have to agree with all the posts here. I have bought eggs from both and by far, my BYC eggs/sellers are better. I am a total newbie with buying eggs online - bought from 5 different people - but already I can see the difference. There is a definite desire for BYCers to keep face so to speak. The community is too small and word gets around. Another reason why I like BYC egg sellers is they usually want to know how your hatch went and if it went well, they want you to tell others in their thread actions. I like that and really enjoying letting others know that this is a good seller. I know when I'm bidding I look for feedback like this. What I've noticed from the 3 Ebay sellers I bought from is they only want feedback on the quality of the shipping, after that they really don't care. Two never replied to any of my communication before and after the sale even though they said to ask questions before bidding and one didn't even understand the basic terms of incubation even though she told me she had 100% hatch rate from her eggs. I think that is a huge overstatement in itself but if you don't know basic hatching terms you shouldn't be selling eggs. I like to give follow up feedback to the people so they know how their eggs hatched ect. I don't complain, I just let them know how it went. I know I would appreciate that if I were a seller. One of the sellers on here wants photos too of the babies. I like that because it shows they really care about what they are selling. Just my two cents worth....

I wonder why people these days want to 'improve' on the chickens that have been around on farms for years. In many countries, on many farms, chickens have been allowed to intermix, creating edible eggs and edible meat for generations. It seems silly to me (especially on a website calle Backyard Chickens) that people would be so picky about their breeds. I have 1 breed that I like to keep separate, but all the others, I just want meat and eggs. If I was naive enough to order eggs online, I certainly wouldn't complain lol.

Never have, never will buy eggs from Ebay. There are a LOT of liars, image thieves, hatchery-stock breeders, $$ "breeders" and the sorts there.

I mean, it is hard enough to find true Ameraucanas and Araucanas on Ebay without running into a million Easter Eggers under false names, but then there's the worse case of Marans, Sussex, Orpingtons, etc which are just sold for profit. Often you get bad shipment, bad quality birds, not the birds you paid for, mutts, etc.

On BYC you have comments of feedback from other users, you can ask around, you can see the seller's conversations and opinions and breedings on other threads, etc. Most of the time you know what you're getting. If you have doubts, you can ask others.
smile.png

I don't think I would ever buy eggs from ebay. I have seen to many scams there. I have bought a total of 7 items from ebay over the years.
Last month I purchased eggs from an egg bidding site and lucked out. I won the auction and payed. Then I got an email that said that the hens had gone broody and she had refunded my money. I did a search and got a hit on a BYC auction and she was a BYCer! I got a call (sent my # in an email to the seller) and got a call a week later. My eggs are due to hatch Thurs.
I am not sure if I hadn't lucked into Stephanie what would have happened on my first ever egg purchase. I know from now on I am going to limit egg purchases to other BYCers and maybe breed club members.

I spent a lot of money on ebay last month buying hatching eggs. All of the sellers did me right, ALL of the ebay eggs arrived intact and quite a few started to develop. Temps and humidity got a little spastic so no hatch, but I don't blame the sellers.

I have bought 2 lots of eggs from BYC members, 1 has offered to replace the clears/ quitters ( I did NOT ask her to), and the other has offered to replace 14 out of 30 eggs that broke during shipping.

Also, the ebay eggs were COVERED with poo smears! BYC eggs had small dirty spots, but were not filthy.

I will continue to buy from both ebay and BYC, but I would be MUCH more likely to bid on ebay if I knew the seller was a BYC member.

When I sold a few hatching eggs on ebay, I put a link to my auction as my website link and mentioned it in my signature. I think 2 out of the 3 buyers were from BYC.

I would like to see a thread dedicated ONLY to ebay seller ids and what the buyers experience was. Constructive stuff-like, not a "trash the seller that tried" rant!

I bought some Call duck eggs from ebay and unless the Call ducks have morphed into giant, wild mallard looking birds without my knowledge-I'm thinking I was scammed.
Have hatched some beautiful chicks from the folks on BYC, though. Matter of fact, I have 3 big 'ol fat baby Lemon Blue Cochins that hatched yesterday from Bishops Chickens in the brooder right now(still some in the incubator, too).

Back
Top Bottom