Discuss your Ducks

Thats what I was thinking too but shes more into just getting two... and shes not really big on trusting people on Craigslist anyway
idunno.gif

Post on the Chicken stock thread and see if anyone is bringing ducks. I think there are a few people besides me that have them in our area.

I'm all Muscovy here... I am quite happy with the breed, I have found they lay quite well but i suppose it depends on how many eggs you are needing...

I think opinions vary tremendously on breeds, plus it does depend on your expectations and how you raise them up.

I'm all Muscovy here... I am quite happy with the breed, I have found they lay quite well but i suppose it depends on how many eggs you are needing...

I think opinions vary tremendously on breeds, plus it does depend on your expectations and how you raise them up.

I agree with GQ, I have never had another breed of duck but I can't say enough about Muscovy, they are funny, intelligent, beautiful, and friendly. I am happy with the number of eggs I get and so are my dogs who usually end up eating most of them since i don't do alot of baking. After having such a quiet duck I don't know if I'd like one thats makes alot of noise.

Pekins- My pekin are really good layers, I get an egg a day most days. They are molting right now and aren't laying yet though.

Cayuga- I only have one female layer, she is a really good layer. She also lays black eggs. I know, sounds weird, but they look really cool. Although, not all cayugas lay black/gray eggs, most lay white.

Khaki Campbells- I have only had one, make it to adulthood. Although, it was winter so she never did lay any eggs. They are supposed to be really good layers. She was really sweet yet really shy.

If you want a pretty bird, I've always thought that rouens were pretty. They look just like mallards, but they are heavier so they can not fly. I have not had one yet, but plan to get one this year.

I would advise not to get mallards and/or muscovy unless you are willing to keep their wings clipped. I tend to avoid any flying ducks, but you may think differently.

You can avoid ducks being aggressive if you handle them enough. I got my first male as an adult 'cause the feed store didn't sell boys, only girls. Anyway, the male was really aggressive at first, but after being handled just about every day, he grew out of it. I've had three other males since then, and none have turned out that way.

Last edited:
I have two Muscovy drakes. We purchased them as ducklings, we were told that they we a only a few days old, but they all ready had there pin feathers so they were over 3 weeks of age. They are the cutest things, they come when called, they follow you and they nibbble very softly at you! At first we though we had 1 male 1 female because one had more red, but now that they are fully grown we are posotive two drakes. Most wonderfull pets!

I'm definitely getting three Muscovy babies at Chickenstock!! SO excited. I've seen descriptions but does anyone have pics or illustrations of how to clip duck wings? We'll have their pen covered but I'd like to free range (under supervision) them and I don't want them escaping to the neighbors yard.. They won't take kindly to more ducks making a mess in their pretty bushes lol

I clip all of Daisy's except the last maybe 7-8 feathers,she hasn't gotten lift off yet so it seems to work although I don't know if she would still be able to eventually. I just like the way her wings look with the longest at the end. I use dog nail clippers to clip the feathers off & just hold her wings out to clip.

Back
Top Bottom