Discussion: Where do you put your brooder, and why?

For my first batch last year, I used a small bathroom with shower stall. It was great for temperature control, but the cleanup afterwards was insane (everything was coated with dust). I moved the chicks to a make-shift brooder in our garage afterwards.
This year I am setting up a brooder (for my new keets that arrive this Wed) in a spare coop.

My boyfriend and I recently bought a home with an acre of land and I've been dying to get started on chickens for a year or two now. We're at odds on where to put them while in the brooder. I know there isn't a "wrong" place to put it as long as the chicks are comfortable and have the appropriate temperatures they need, but I am wondering where all of you place your brooders! Garage, porch, utility room? Living room? Lol.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on non-flighty, friendly, decent layers I am open to suggestions! I am strongly favoring Buff Orpingtons right now :)
I think BO's are wonderful hens! :love They are sweet and built like bumblebees. Definitely don't fly, although one tried yesterday when I wanted to pick her up and take a look at her. :lau She got about a foot off the ground. :lau But then she was sweet and allowed us to look her over. I don't handle my girls a lot. If you do, you wont even have this problem. I don't think of it as a problem, really. Neither my chickens nor I want to cuddle. We like hanging out together, but separately. :wee

I'll be using the laundry room, which is a re-purposed back porch (walled and windowed). Since there is no air-conditioning ducts it is easily the warmest room in the house, even when the dryer isn't running. It also gets a normal day night cycle thanks to the wall-of-windows along one side. I have a mama heating pad inside if they need the extra heat.

At my old house I used the two car garage, but my garage here is smaller and is currently being used as my workshop where I am in the process of building their coop, so I need the room and see no need to be exposing them to all the dust and noise. Especially as I doubt I'll be able to get them to wear dust masks.:duc

Where- the sitting room. Why- because She Who Must Be Obeyed thought it a good idea.

This is not a good idea.
weird.jpg

I used my coop. It was already done and I have power to it for the heat plate.... Unless you have a big broader you'll be rushed to get your coop done in time. . We see it here all the time...
Do youryour a favor and build your coop first.. You'll have 4_5 weeks to get your run done

Truth! Wish we were more prepped.

First batch I brooded indoors, in a bathtub in a spare bath... never again! The dander went up the walls as far as 6'.

Second batch I brooded outdoors, in the run alongside the hens. They were off heat sooner and very active, with much less mess and stress to us. The beauty of this is this they naturally integrated in with the rest of the flock within weeks. Here's my brooder setup: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ obviously you can skip the part on integration if you have no other birds.

S
Very nice setup! Curious, how many chicks did you have in there with a brooder that size?

Started with 10 but one died very young. So 9...5 Jersey Giants and 4 Gold Laced Wyandottes. They were there 15 weeks because the coop was not finished. These are pretty large birds, 5 pounds, at 15 weeks. There was the usual Pecking order disputes with a reminder as to Who eats First, etc. But there was no major fighting...JJ

For my first batch last year, I used a small bathroom with shower stall. It was great for temperature control, but the cleanup afterwards was insane (everything was coated with dust). I moved the chicks to a make-shift brooder in our garage afterwards.
This year I am setting up a brooder (for my new keets that arrive this Wed) in a spare coop.
:lau I did that once too. Nearly took a bottle of bleach before I'd allow anyone in that bathroom again. :lau I said never again too!

It depends on temperature for me. If it's too hot then I brood in my home office with short trips outside that become longer over time. If temps are bearable I brood in a mini coop outside. I prefer outside, but 110* + is just too hot for babies in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom