Disease in my flock of 9-week chicks

Thank you all.
There is not any well-known agricultural university near me but I will do my best to find one.
After releasing them in outdoor to forage for themselves, it seems the situation turned out to be better. Maybe a little grazing made their defense system stronger!
after separating sick birds there isn't any new case of disease and I hope spread of the disease halted. So if everything became normal I won't use antibiotics.
As soon as any new case of infliction emerged, I will inform you in this thread.

I’m with @azygous with what I know about virulent Newcastle. The California vnd strain originated from Belize, the Iran strain’s symptoms may be slightly different. Virulent Newcastle is common in Iran. I don’t know of anything that virulent with such severe symptoms other than virulent Newcastle or avian flu.
Be careful, birds can survive Newcastle but still be carriers and infect new birds. Perhaps think about testing and vaccination for the particular strain if available.

Last edited:
After a little research, I found out that Newcastle disease is a real problem for many kinds of birds around me. So I decided to cull all of my birds to stop the spreading of the disease.
Now I have some question:
1. According to some references this virus can penetrate an egg's shell and embed in embryo. I hatched some new chicks in my incubator today. Is there any risk of VND for them. Could their vaccination be helpful if they had contracted the disease before?
2. Although being in close contact with sick chicks My mature birds(1 rooster 4 hens 4 ducks) are not showing any clear sign of VND aside from a decrease in egg laying of hens. Is it safe to eat their meat after boiling it?
3. I want to stop raising chickens for two month to get rid of the virus. Putting all the tools in direct sunlight, washing their pen with disinfectant. Are there any more safety measures?

Did the hatching eggs come from hens in your own flock or did you buy them from an outside source? Usually an avian virus passes from the hen that is carrying it into the egg as it travels through her reproductive track.

I don't know the answer to vaccinating chicks already exposed to the virus. Maybe someone else here knows. I would think a chick that hatches carrying the virus wouldn't benefit from being vaccinated, but it could develop resistance if the virus isn't strong enough to sicken and kill it.

My flock has the leucosis virus. (No vaccination available for it.) Some chicks hatched from eggs from hens in my flock have developed resistance and have lived beyond the first year, while others have died in the embryo stage or before they were one year old. That's as far as my experience and knowledge go where vaccines and resistance are concerned.

As for other safety measures, be aware that if you are in proximity to chickens that may be carrying VND, your clothing and shoes can pick up the virus from dander in the air or soil and you can bring it home any time. It may be how your chickens were exposed. I have thought it may be how my chicks picked up leucosis. Once you disinfect everything, have a special pair of shoes you only wear in your chicken house and run. Never wear your street shoes in your chicken facilities or your chicken footwear out.

There is no vaccination for the strain going around California now. The current vaccines for the 3 other strains are not only useless, but will give a false negative if your flock is exposed, or infected. I would not hatch out any eggs either.

They need to be buried at least 3 feet underground. Everything they've come into contact with, needs to be thoroughly disinfected, including the ground. After disinfection of the ground, it takes at least 6 months to be sure all of the virus is gone. No birds until after the 6 months, and only if you disinfect before starting the 6 month countdown. Be sure to disinfect or dispose of all contaminated items, such as incubators, brooder equipment, feeders, waterers, etc.

There is not suppose to be any movement of birds, chicks, or eggs at this time in California. It's under quarantine. There are several counties with multiple hot zones, and Ag workers must depopulate all flocks in the hot zones, within 1/4 mile of any cases that have tested positive.

I'm sorry for your losses, but want to thank you for your part in doing the right thing to help stop the problem. If everyone would do the right thing, as you have, it woudn't be long, and the problem would be solved.

Back
Top Bottom