Diseased Mink... Questions and Facts.

I would be far more concerned about rabies than Covid. If the babies belong to that sick one, they could have rabies as well. I'd call your local game warden, fish and wildlife service, or whoever is in charge of wildlife in your area. (If they were near here, they would likely disappear.)

We emailed the DNR, and are waiting for a response. If they don't get back to us we will call them tomorrow, I am hoping we don't have a whole family of rabid minks on our property.😬

But don't mink and weasels naturally eat poultry? :hmm

I'm thinking being passive might have some troubles.
I have lost chickens to both. They will wipe out many chickens at once The mink ate the backs of the heads of my chickens, not necessarily killing them first. DH found one still alive (barely), with the back of its head missing. He had to put it down. It may be obvious that I am not a fan of those things.

Last edited:
Good point lol, I'm more worried that they will start some rabies outbreak in our yard, and have to deal with rabid mink. I am worried about the chickens 2. I hope the DNR can get it taken care of.

I have lost chickens to both. They will wipe out many chickens at once The mink ate the backs of the heads of my chickens, not necessarily killing them first. DH found one still alive (barely), with the back of its head missing. He had to put it down. It may be obviouse that I am not a fan of those things.
Thats terrible, they sound vicious. We have hardware cloth for the wire, a roof, and the coop in the run. Chicken wire is dug in at all sides. I locked up the coop at night also, nesting boxes and doors, the only place hey could get in is if they chewed through the window screening, then pushed it open, but they would have to get in the run first.

Thats terrible, theynot sure they're quite I'm sound vicious. We have hardware cloth for the wire, a roof, and the coop in the run. Chicken wire is dug in at all sides. I locked up the coop at night also, nesting boxes and doors, the only place hey could get in is if they chewed through the window screening, then pushed it open, but they would have to get in the run first.
I'm not sure they're quite that ambitious. :) If you have other animals outside, though, I'd at least make sure they are all up on their shots.

I'd want to trap it and have it tested for rabies, for sure. The poor critter is sick for some reason, and your DNR may want to necropsy it as part of your state's wildlife monitoring plan.
If you can shoot it, NOT in the head, which is needed for rabies testing!
Call your local or state DNR office tomorrow, and find out what's best to do.
And protect your chickens! All weasel type critters will kill your birds!
Mary

I'm not sure they're quite that ambitious. :) If you have other animals outside, though, I'd at least make sure they are all up on their shots.

Well, you might be right about them not being ambitious.

However, there isn't that many free steak meals just laying around right?

Sooner or later, they will notice, there's this weird box shaped 'chicken dispenser' on that one farm, not too far from there.

I'm thinking that mink thinks your chicken coop is a meat dispenser.

Back
Top Bottom