Dislocated Joint? (Please Help!)

imomateo

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
Hello Backyard Chicken People:

I have a five-month-old Blue Orpington hen named Shi-Yao. She is a lovely bird with a great temperament and is a good layer.

In the last few days, I’ve noticed that she is walking with a bit of a limp. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there seems to be a problem with her left leg. She still walks o.k.—albeit a bit clumsily—and does not appear to be in any obvious distress, but it is clear something is wrong.

Basically, her left leg seems to bend bend inward to the center of her body when she puts weight on it. Her right leg is straight, and she seems to keep most of her weight on her “good leg.” See pictures, below.

Has anyone dealt with similar issues? Could she have somehow dislocated one of the joints in her leg? What are my options?

Matt – Greenpoint

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your bird! Do you have a vet you can take her too? Some vets with avian experience might be able to diagnose and possibly reset the leg. I am not sure what to do about this.

Try posting this in our emergency section. Maybe someone there might know what to do about this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get her leg all back to good health soon!
hugs.gif

Thanks. I posted in the emergency area. There is an avian vet, but they charge $115 for a consultation (that's what you get in NYC) so I'll have to think about it and maybe she how she does in the next few days/weeks. It would be a shame to lose her.

Does she allow you to examine and feel her leg joints? If so does she seem uncomfortable when you touch certain areas - that would point out where the problem is. You might try just putting "Dislocated joint" in the search box, that would bring up posts others have made on the subject and what they did about it.

Yes, she allows me to examine her legs and feet. I have attempted to palpitate her legs/joints to see whether I can find anything out of whack, but all seems fine.

Another poster suggested it could be left sided weakness due to Marek's disease (she is the right age for first onset of symptoms). I'll have to closely monitor her to see how she fares.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom