Displaced chicken wing

suziegoozee

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
I noticed yesterday one of my chickens wings looks displaced, it is sort of hanging lower and sticking out. I picked him up and not in pain and hasn't been attacked. I only have four chickens but they do rush about and she may have knocked it!

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Thank you

Aloha Suzie. Is there even a remote chance she might have been shot? Perhaps by a bb? It sounds like that kind of injury. Gently hold the bird and do a fine-tooth comb check. Look and gently, gently feel for a little round hole, a tear, a piece of glass or sharp stick embedded. A bit of blood, missing feathers. Do your very best to find the injury. If you can find nothing, assume it is badly bruised or broken. If she drags it, you might try setting the one wing and wrapping it. But if she is handling the situation, eating and drinking, moving, I would leave her alone. She may be in some discomfort. Does she have to climb and balance to get to her night perch, or fly up? Then you might want to gather her in the evening and put her in a small, safe cage with water and soft bedding. If she is not free-range, but locked up all day with other chickens, and space is a premium, I would keep her separated until she is healed. I'm sure movement, jostling, balancing, are all painful.
I have the luxury of a small, extra garden space completely fenced. I plant in it along with my large garden (but weed less consistently). When I have one in your, or similar, situation, I put water, a little grain, and a small box/cat carrier/whatever weather proof house I have available, with soft bedding, in the garden and let the injured one have the whole place to herself. I lose a bit of garden but the solitude, peace, grazing, scratching, really helps the healing. Even letting her out alone in the yard or earlier than the others might benefit. I truly think time, loving attention to her comfort, and solitude will go a long way for this injury.
Your kindness, and protecting her/him from the others, will probably make this all better.

Back
Top Bottom