Disrespectful or not?

I have a stepdaughter that does the same thing to me and my husband. We have just told her that if she thinks she needs to correct us she can form it in a question. Usually though, she is wrong lol. I would say that in this situation, he should be told that he was being disrepectful especially if he was saying it outloud without being called on.

Explain that he is very intelligent but that he needs to remain respectful to his teachers. I could see how this may be frustrating to the teacher.

Quote:
But if they're wrong, they deserve to be corrected. Just do it respectfully.

But correcting the teacher in front of the class is not respectful at all.

Your son is correct on wording, however we (teachers) are now told to call it "pluses" and "minuses" with the kids, because you want them to realize the addition and subtraction symbol is what tells you how to do the operation.

It's part of a long list of stupid things we now do, so that when the kids take the acheviment tests in spring they have the highest chance of passing.

Quote:
Wonder why certain people can't realize that a forum like this is public? (and I don't mean you, ksacres, I'm speaking in general
smile.png
)

I think it's because we, as a society, are losing our social graces. Which makes us not so much a society, as a collection of beings reverting to a primitive state.

So, good for the OP for recognizing the importance of good manners!

(I admit, sometimes I'm so concerned about being right, I forget to be polite. It's nice when someone can be BOTH.
wink.png
)

In an age of BYC, FaceBook, MySpace, cell phones, personal web pages, etc, it is hard for the young to understand private vs. public. The line has become blurred and they were around to see it in the first place.

Quote:
But it would be better (IMO) for the teacher to say it 'x minus y' or 'x plus y' instead of 'minus x and y'. If you took what she was saying literally, it would be '-xy' instead of 'x-y', so how does that make it easier to understand? That just sets them up for failure later on, in my opinion.
smile.png

I think you should also be aware that some teachers might hold a grudge against your son for correcting her...period. If he is labeled as disrespectful or a smart-aleck, then he might have a tough time this year.

JMHO,

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom