Disrespectful or not?

I don't think speaking up in the middle of class was disrespectful. It comes down to more the way it was approached. Both in public and private flat out telling a teacher they are wrong would not be appropriate and odds are there is a reason they are doing it the way they are. If a student feels something is wrong or is confused by wording then there may be other students who feel the same way and it would benefit them all to have it brought up. The difference that I think needs to be made is that instead of telling the teacher he is wrong and the student's way is right the student should ask why the teaching is wording it that way. Then mention it is somewhat confusing and makes more sense when worded a different way. Pointing out that you feel confused and asking if there is a reason something is done that way is much less disrespectful than telling someone they are wrong. It allows them to explain and consider if maybe they could do it a better way without you looking like a know it all or smart alec. None of my instructors would have a problem with that and it's frequently done in my college classes. In my computer programming classes someone often asks why the teacher used a certain command over another one. Sometimes there's a good reason and sometimes the teacher agrees the other command might work better. It's never taken as disrespectful so long as it's brought up as a question in the interest of learning and of clearing up confusion and not as just telling the teacher they are incorrect.

Quote:
I resolved it with my DS. He understands that he should have asked her after class about the wording that she was using.

During the discussion, he did ask me why he had to be respectful of his teachers even though he didnt feel that they were respectful to him. The examples that he gave were valid.

It all comes down to a deterioration of the teacher/student/parent relationship over the last decade (give or take).

Which led to the 'two wrongs dont make a right' discussion and thats where we left it.

He knows that our expectations are higher and I think that when he told me the story, he thought I would be annoyed about the wording as I tend to be a bit of an extremist about things like that. lol.

I think it is a very bad message to tell children that anyone who has authority over them is presumed to be correct and deserving of respect.(think "Nazis"). I got a lecture from a boss once about how I should respect him because he was director of tax. I told him, "look, you and the janitor start out in the same place with me and you work your way up or down from there."

Respect has to be deserved. Any teacher who uses nouns as verbs deserves to be called out.

JMHO

Respect is a two way street; and if teens want respect they need to earn it by respecting their teachers. Teachers also need to respect their students throught examples of their behavior towards the students (nothing irked me more in HS than being treated like an idiot kid who had no idea what they were talking about ....) treating the teens like adults teaches them how to interact properly with others now and in the future.

Glad you and your DS were able to resolve this in a mature manner!

The HS I went to...

The teachers ALWAYS had pets and ALWAYS had ones to pick on. It didnt matter if the said picked on kid brought them cookies and milk everyday the teacher would find a way to cut them down.

I always just kept my mouth shut 'yes sir no sir, yes mam no mam'. I stayed out of trouble and managed to get on the good side of a few teachers.

Some just come in there thinking they are above all these ...kids...

It is rude and its a good life lesson for children to grin and bare it.

I would say that was disrespectful, I would have waited until after class. Then again, I would not have said anything. It was no big deal everyone knew what the teacher was talking about, and it wasn't like the teacher was saying something really idiotic. I would have just let it go.

it was disrespectful, yes. he is young and used poor judgment. you are a good mom!!! you are helping him make good patterns that form the habits of his life.

a great book that people just need to read:
Honor's Reward by John Bevere. there is reward in honor. even if you are not a Christian, the principals will be life changing. you can search his store on the site for the book. or if you want, call or email me to borrow mine.

hypnofroggie...you said the teacher DESERVED to be corrected. WRONG. an adult is an adult is an adult. you are young you know i love ya, bud. don't get me going on you mister!!!!!
hugs.gif

there is a huge breakdown of respect and honor in today's society. why? because people think that respect is something that 'they deserve' but 'everyone else earns'. WRONGO. the major cause is the fact that we no longer respect God. the breakdown begins there and goes right down the tube.

everything is all about 'what i want'. it's all about selfishness.

It was disrespectful, the way it was described. It would also be perfectly normal teenage behavior to say under his breath each time "add", and "subract".

However, it is another thing entirely when a teacher who is wrong, and is confronted in a respectful manner brow beats a child into anger, and then finally admits the child was correct. This happens with very bright children more often than many would like to admit, and sometimes it happens when the child is to young to understand that correcting a mistake a teacher has made is disrespectful. We want our children to be able to speak up when mistakes are made, even if the mistakes are made by an adult. Children need to understand that questioning authority is okay. The attitude of the adult is always right, and it is universally disrespectful to confront or disagree with an adult is not a good message. It puts kids in a position where a "respected" adult such as a teacher, scout leader, priest or coach can do or say anything and it would be disrepectful to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom