Distance for roost from the wall

1keegan

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Looking for input- (for standard sized hens)
We've determined the height to place the roost bar, but aren't sure how far out/away from the wall should a roost be? 8" 10" 12" ?
thanks

I use a poop board that's 24 inches deep and the roost bar is in the middle. So 12" away from the wall, I don't get any poop on the wall.
roost board.jpg

Looking for input- (for standard sized hens)
We've determined the height to place the roost bar, but aren't sure how far out/away from the wall should a roost be? 8" 10" 12" ?
thanks
12" for hens.
My poor cockbird gets his pretty sickle feathers all tattered up, he could use 18".

Mine must hate me, my top roost is at least 12" from the wall and there's um... "spray art" all over the wall. 😅
Juicy poops?
Do you have a poop board?

Juicy poops?
Do you have a poop board?

Nope, no poop board. Floor is my poop board, doggie pooper scooper does the trick without having to bend down. Twice a year I rake out all the roost section bedding into the run, then push the rest of the bedding in the coop under the roost area, so pretty easy and efficient as far as clean up.

Obviously solid poops are easy to scoop up, but sometimes I wonder if they're challenging each other to see, um, how far they can squirt watery poops in random directions... :hmm

Back
Top Bottom