Distended belly, not egg bound - please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmb383, Jun 3, 2017.

1. kmb383

kmb383 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Daisy is a 2 year old Polish. She has been symptom-free until today. Yesterday, she was free-ranging normally and went to bed on the roost with her sisters + their roo. This morning, I let them out of the coop and, as always, everyone came running, including Daisy. I didn't notice anything wrong with her in the morning. A couple hours later, I found her sitting and not active like she usually is. I've brought her in the house and placed her in the sick chick cage. She drank a little water at first but has not taken anything since. Her lower abdomen is distended. I gently inserted a lubed finger and did not feel any bound eggs in her. She has yellowish diarrhea near her vent. Any ideas? She is a treasured pet and I would really appreciate any advice. Unfortunately, there are no chicken vets or any vets with avian experience in my area.

2. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    It is called 'balloon belly' If you feel around the craw upper area of the hen it will feel a bit like a water balloon. I don't know a cure for that off hand. Their food builds and builds until there is a rupture. I had to put down a beautifully colored FBCM hen because of that. It was sad, she had beautiful coloring for the breed. However, I knew she would no longer lay an egg and just suffer.

Don Alejo likes this.
  3. Don Alejo

Don Alejo Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    I have what sounds like a very similar situation in a one y/o "red star", she is kind of dragging her abdomen but will eat and drink if I hold her, and otherwise does not seem in pain, but how do I know? I have read the euthanasia posts "just in case" but hate to face this in this trusting pet. I will follow your posts and the replies hoping for a better answer to her problem.

4. Don Alejo

May 15, 2015
    Thank you! It may be strange but in my previous post I said I fed her but did not say I mixed in a mild laxative in the soft food she was able to eat. I will post if this seems to be helpful to her.

5. kmb383

Mar 22, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Do you think I should give her a laxative? What kind and how much? The idea of dehydration concerns me since she hasn't drank anything recently and has diarrhea. Diagnosing + treating chickens is so difficult!

6. I'm not sure what could be wrong with your hen.

But she needs water.Take water in a syringe and dribble it on her beak.
    I really hope this helps.
    Best of luck!

7. kmb383

Mar 22, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Just researched balloon belly/internal laying. What causes this? Is there anyway to stop it? Most of the posts I read said you can drain the belly regularly to prolong the lifespan, but they will die of it eventually.

8. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    A laxative has nothing to do with the craw where the defect develops, and may cause more distress.

9. Don Alejo

May 15, 2015
    Yes but when Henrietta comes to me to be picked up and petted and, seemingly out of trust, does not fight when I "examine" her, It all seems worth it. The harder if I have to put her down if this continues.

10. Don Alejo

May 15, 2015
    Thanks, in desperation I guess I will/have tried all I can think of or read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by