Distended belly, not egg bound - please help!

I'm sorry your pet hen is ill, this would be my best guess http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
This absolutely nails the diagnosis for me; the symptoms are almost identical and could be describing Henrietta. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I am of course sorry that there seems to be no easy cure but at least I feel that I have done all I can for her and she will continue to receive the loving nursing.
PS: I like your motto "Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up never give in", may I please borrow it? I already have the chocolate nailed.

This absolutely nails the diagnosis for me; the symptoms are almost identical and could be describing Henrietta. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I am of course sorry that there seems to be no easy cure but at least I feel that I have done all I can for her and she will continue to receive the loving nursing.
PS: I like your motto "Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up never give in", may I please borrow it? I already have the chocolate nailed.
You sure can, I didn't make it up anyway, it is the Motto of The Doctor in Doctor Who.

Daisy died overnight. I'm glad she didn't suffer long. I promised myself that if she seemed worse, I would end her suffering today. I'm so glad I didn't have to do that. I'm going to post some pictures of the necropsy I performed on her so DISCLAIMER GRAPHIC images in my next post. This is my first necropsy and it was very difficult for me as she was a sweet, loved pet. But, since I have lost another loved bird recently, I want to cover my bases so I can take good care of my living girls (and that guy that I hate to love! lol)

This is my first time and I'm not clear on the structures. I opened her belly and looked for internal laying. I found a regular, solid egg and what I think is a lot of yolk. There were some parts of eggshells but I'm not sure if the other structures were eggs too. Any help on identifying everything in the pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone tell me if, without a doubt, she was internally laying or something similar?

IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG

:hugs @kmb383 I'm sorry to hear about Daisy.

Thank you for sharing the photos. I'm not an expert, but to me, yes it does look like an internal laying/reproductive disorder. As to which "correct name" to give it, that would be harder.
Peritonitis can eventually become thickened and caseous like that, but Salpingitis may be more the correct term to use.

Let's see what others think @Eggcessive @casportpony @TwoCrows ?

I am so sorry about your hen. :hugs There sure is a lot of cooked yolks internally. I am no expert when it comes to necropies, but I would think with as many eggs you found in the cavities, this is a case of internal laying. The hint of green could be liver oriented but it could also indicate infection.

Hopefully someone else chimes in here with more knowledge about this.

I am super sorry. :hugs

Thank you for your responses and sympathy. She sat in my lap for a while yesterday like the sweetheart she was. It was nice to have some more snuggles with her before she died. She had such a personality!

So they do look like cooked eggs? Several of the photos are of the same thing. I wasn't sure if they were eggs or part of the ovaries.

Back
Top Bottom