Distended belly, not egg bound - please help!

I have one in the chicken hospital downstairs she had a gelatinous type discharge. prior to this I thought it was sour crop as her crop was ballooney, night and in the morning. but now it may be that and this... :(

@kmb383 So sorry for your loss :(

@TwoCrows where do you get the antibiotics?

I stocked up well before the recent crack down on antibiotics. I THINK Twin Cities Poultry is still selling some? Not too awful long ago I was on their website and did see some meds in stock. A few powders, lots of Injectables. My feed store is still selling PenG injectable. If you cannot find any on line you can always find a vet to help you.

I have one in the chicken hospital downstairs she had a gelatinous type discharge. prior to this I thought it was sour crop as her crop was ballooney, night and in the morning. but now it may be that and this... :(

Is she pooping this gelotinous gunk? If so, this is a puss ball from the oviduct. Sounds like she may have an oviduct infection. Amoxicillin is the best med for the oviduct, PenG the next best. Amoxicillin orally is preferred over injectable, but injectable is fine too. Penicillin however is better as an injection vs orally. Both are in the "cillan" family but each has a better performance preference, injectable or orally.

Is she pooping this gelotinous gunk? If so, this is a puss ball from the oviduct. Sounds like she may have an oviduct infection. Amoxicillin is the best med for the oviduct, PenG the next best. Amoxicillin orally is preferred over injectable, but injectable is fine too. Penicillin however is better as an injection vs orally. Both are in the "cillan" family but each has a better performance preference, injectable or orally.
yes, a gelatinous ickyness. she did yesterday morning.

Thanks TwoCrows and Kmb383!

yes, a gelatinous ickyness. she did yesterday morning.

Thanks TwoCrows and Kmb383!

Does it look like a small opaque water balloon? If so, she does have an oviduct infection. If it appears to be a bit of mucus on or in the poop than this is more likely Coccidiosis.

It was definitely not poo, it is white with other colors (red, orange), kinda looked like brains, and I pushed in it with a paper towel felt like rubber or gelatinous like.

I googled amoxicillin and tractor supply and fleet farm, neither has it. I did find some for fish at walmart, another thread said it is the same stuff, what do you think?

Also, she has been laying soft shelled eggs for about 6 weeks, one came out with no shell, she lays those, or very large eggs with shell, sporatically. the large eggs are way larger than her usual egg which is a medium. this along with the mass lead me to believe oviduct infection as well. I did not get a photo of the mass.

Back
Top Bottom