Distinguishing peachicks from other chicks

skidud

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
I hate to make my first post a dumb question but here goes. . . .

I've gone to "Wolf's Giant Animal Swap Meet" in Albion the last few years and have seen a few people selling peachicks. My problem is, I can't tell the difference between them and any other chick when they are first hatched and was hoping someone could point out some distinguishing differences. I hate going up to ask the sellers what they have when I'm assuming, for most people, it's obvious. I've looked up images of the chicks but only see very subtle differences between them and other chicks. Are there any tell tale traits when they are first hatched?

Usually after they are about a week old they start getting their first crown feathers.
Never be afraid to ask questions at a sale, if folks can't help you then move to the next person that can.
thumbsup.gif

I guess my pride in asking is only part of the problem. I also fear that in asking, I could end up buying something other than a peachick from someone intent on making a profit from novices like myself who cant tell the difference.

Me: Are those peachicks?
Unsavory seller: These? Uhh. . . sure are.
Me: Cool, I'll take 6
Chicks: (6 months later) gobble gobble
Me: . . .
barnie.gif
. . . crap

Are peachicks too young to take during that first week before they get the crown feathers? Are there any other fowl that have a crown feather like that? I just remember seeing one guy specifically selling them and I couldn't see a bit of difference between them and any other chick. I don't remember them having any crown feathers yet either.

To me their legs and necks are longer. A week old chick can be raised fine, that means he taught it to eat. Maybe someone else will chime in and post more pics of even younger chicks.

The longer legs and neck were the only two traits I picked up on. I found these two pictures on the web, both I understand to be a day old. The top are peachicks and the bottom are bronze turkeys, probably the closest looking hatchling I could find. I can see a difference when they are head to head like that without too much trouble. From the research I did previously, I really didn't find any clear cut distinguishing traits. Seeing these two pictures, it would be hard to confuse them.

Peafowl2.jpg

Narraa_turk_poults.jpg

peachicks also hatch with wing feathers. and tail feathers.
most other chicks (i dont know of any other that do , i could be wrong) hatch only covered in fluff.

Turkey poults will have a tiny round bead looking thing just above the beak. It's the snood and will get bigger as they get older. Chicken chicks will have a tiny line where the comb is. Guinea chicks have a different shaped beak. I have never had pheasant chicks so not sure how they would compare? And of course if it has webbed feet... Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Also, from what I have seen so far, colored peachicks don't tend to have the stripes and spots that other chicks have. I could be wrong on that part...

Thanks Frosty and Country Girl. All very good points. I hadn't noticed the feathers already in place on the peachicks. I also wasn't aware of the comb line and snood mark being visible so early.

Back
Top Bottom