disturbing

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
We were down at the beach over the weekend, and decided to pop into one of my favorite stores-Alvin's Island in Panama City Beach. I was all excited to see their alligator exhibit, it's always fun to visit. We run out there, and..... one of the alligators was dead.
hit.gif
I think even worse than that was that the staff didn't know.
he.gif
He had been there a while by the looks of things, as well.

Then apparently something had died inside the store, and it smelled sooooo bad.
sickbyc.gif
I'm thinking maybe a hermit crab or something. What would you do? I'm thinking of calling animal control or the health dept on Monday. It just broke my heart to see that alligator floating there. Another one in a separate exhibit was very thin. I know they go into torpor this time of year, but they shouldn't lose so much weight, as their systems slow down so much. I'm so sad tonight.

I would speak with the store manager first. The first step is to find out if they know/care. Authorities should not be called in immediately IMO. Find out what's going on first. Maybe they can't go in and get it for some reason? The store smelling would be taken up with the manager for sure. That will drive folks away. You did say you don't think the staff even knew about the dead gator...did you bother to try to tell them?

Please call. Call the media too, your favorite news crew. It needs to be examined with a microscope.

Quote:
Cindi, I used to care for gators in a state park. No way they could be caring for them and not know, especially if it had really been there a while.

Quote:
Cindi, I used to care for gators in a state park. No way they could be caring for them and not know, especially if it had really been there a while.

hu.gif
I just think people should be given the benefit of the doubt. My reasoning is: there truly are a LOT of stupid people in the world like it or not...TRUST me I know several
big_smile.png
Seriously, that's just how I would handle it. Not saying it's 100% right or wrong, it's just how I would do it.

Quote:
Yes, I did tell the lady that was holding a juvenile alligator for pictures inside the store. She had no idea the dead one was out there. I think if they were aware, and not able to get to it or something, they should have closed the exhibit.

Back
Top Bottom