Dixie Chicks

I'm behind just stopping by. Did you figure out the leaky nipples? I've use Teflon tape on mine and also a 21/32 drill bit. Never had one leak. Now I use the horizontal nipples. No leaks what so ever where as the chickens would bump the vertical ones and cause them to leak water

How do the horizontal one's work in the winter subzero temps with birdbath heater in bucket? I hear the vertical ones you just hold your hand on for a few seconds and they thaw out. I don't know if I will like these vertical one's dripping down on their faces when they drink and it's zero out....or twenty below....

Congrats on the Cemani's.

WE breed Greenfir line Cemani's, have adults, chicks and hatching eggs.
One of our Hens just hatched 6 chicks in the nesting box. Is this common?

Thanks

New to chickens are you? Awesome! Welcome to BYC!
Chickens have been hatching their own since the beginning of their existence, so no not uncommon. Cemani's have been wild game chickens for centuries in Indonesia so of course they would be good broodies, just like any game chicken. Only chickens that have spent many generations being hatched by incubators and living in factory farms have lost their instinct to hatch their own chicks.

Didnt u say u were bringing hatching eggs back from Florida?

Yeah...said that..Emailed eight acres farm in Gainsville, they have some awesome one's that I want, emailed them cause they said they were not filling chick orders for the rest of the yr, booked up. She said her hens, German New Hampshire's I was asking for, was laying great and I could pick up a dozen plus eggs on our way back home. Great! DW... wife says I'll have to pick them up on the way down... I thought we were leaving Orlando area back up, not to far out of our way to their farm, two days old eggs in incubator, save $15 shipping and all the harm that can come from shipping, great plan...
Nope, I guess her plan is a night stay at Daytona before we come home, Gainsville is now a two hr out of our way and she doesn't want to do that trip....
What's worse I'm asking myself now?
What's the better bet on a $45 dozen+ eggs$ Ship them, or a week old gently shipped by me...? I've thrown away $45 on stupider stuff so the $ isn't a real big deal, but is,...nothing ever goes as I plan....

Beer can,
The trip to Gainsville from Orlando isn't bad. Interstate, so the roads are good, and once outside the major city, traffic moves at a good pace. It sounds like it would actually be worth the trip, and the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

Yeah...said that..Emailed eight acres farm in Gainsville, they have some awesome one's that I want, emailed them cause they said they were not filling chick orders for the rest of the yr, booked up. She said her hens, German New Hampshire's I was asking for, was laying great and I could pick up a dozen plus eggs on our way back home. Great!  DW...  wife says I'll have to pick them up on the way down... I thought we were leaving Orlando area back up, not to far out of our way to their farm, two days old eggs in incubator, save $15 shipping and all the harm that can come from shipping, great plan...
Nope, I guess her plan is a night stay at Daytona before we come home, Gainsville is now a two hr out of our way and she doesn't want to do that trip....
What's worse I'm asking myself now?
What's the better bet on a $45 dozen+ eggs$ Ship them, or a week old gently shipped by me...?  I've thrown away $45 on stupider stuff so the $ isn't a real big deal, but is,...nothing ever goes as I plan....

Bro: pack those eggs like you are mailing them. It will make a he77uva difference.

Beer can,
The trip to Gainsville from Orlando isn't bad. Interstate, so the roads are good, and once outside the major city, traffic moves at a good pace. It sounds like it would actually be worth the trip, and the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

Yeah, that is why I had that plan.From Orlando, actually Kissimme area, same area. Problem is wife says we are going to Daytona beach the day before we leave, spend the night, and leave from there. Now It's a two hr extra trip. We never did this before, been down there three other times. I don't pay attention apparently, I have heard about our 'trip' non-stop for months, she changes what we are doing every other week, right down to we are not going, can't afford it....I know next week she has different plans....so I have been listening to her like she is just static in my ears....Asks my opinion? I can not give her my opinion on it....I do not want to go, HATE being away from home, super hate it....first time was cool, never saw a palm tree before. Loved it first couple times, hated the drive.

How do the horizontal one's work in the winter subzero temps with birdbath heater in bucket? I hear the vertical ones you just hold your hand on for a few seconds and they thaw out. I don't know if I will like these vertical one's dripping down on their faces when they drink and it's zero out....or twenty below....
in a 5 gallon bucket and a bird bath heater I have never had one freeze

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom