Dixie Chicks

As in rolfing? (massage term)
Uh-oh. Am I hearing another back rub coming up?
Watch out, Sam.... Back rubs lead to more toddlers (so according to Bama.)

As in rolfing?   (massage term)
Uh-oh.  Am I hearing another back rub coming up? 
Watch out, Sam....  Back rubs lead to more toddlers (so according to Bama.)

Omg!
Shhh... Our first had the onesie that said "all mommy wanted was a back rub"

Regardless we are sitting across the table from eachother talking to eachother on the internet, losers! Least I am drinking my beer and not just posing with it

Hashtag awesome!

Quote:
I had ashtma when I was a child my grandma always accused mom of taking impoper care of me.... they both thought i had a constant cold... cough. Back then Asthma was diagnosed differently... I was born in 1955. But it all went away when I got out to run and play and do Kid things in the yard or out in the desert.... I have always lived in Desert environments.

then when my son was born I started getting sick more often By then I was 34... I went to the doctor and he asked me how long I had had asthma... I ddidnt know I had asthma... Then my son developed it.... I found out later on that we were living in a sick house... One wall had evidence that it had been wet several times.... buckles bubbly plaster under a new coat of paint. I didnt put two and two together till we moved out when my son was twelve.... To a day almost we stopped having asthma attacks... it took two years though.

Now we both get wheezy and coughy and postnasaly when certain things bloom.... But thats it. Unless I get a lung full of mold.

WE both are pretty darn healthy for the most part.

I like the fact that we each have our own nebulizing machine... Because when we do get a cold they can prescribe medicine that helps keep away bronchitis.

deb

Sam, some of the Aussies use the term Bum Nuggets. I sort of like that too. But the F bomb idea is fun. Or how about Motherclucking eggs?

Forgot to say I liked that name a lot!
May doodle something up...

Question of cleaning the coop? I don't. Deep litter method. I did take about four inches, right down to the hard ground before I got this new bunch, and added a bale of straw. This fall I added about six inches of dry sawdust. And boy do they bulldoze it around. The coop is definitely dry, it's warm today and I caught the roo and a pullet taking a dirtbath together in a big hole they dug. The coop is big 8'x16' x10' high, for eight birds.the only vent is the rafters are open and is plenty. I do make sure their nest boxes are clean. A used wood shavings they use for hamsters and gerbils, etc. It seems to stay in the boxes better than hay. I'm glad it was aspen shavings and not ceder, I heard cedar is toxic to chickens???

Cedar off gasses some toxins... I was just on a thread about this, and pine being bad too... I can find stuff about cedar out there on line but not about pine... But even the cedar, I think if the air exchange was high enough in the coop, cedar could be used in some form ( maybe not bedding)... I used a little cedar as trim ( sort of ) just a few strips here and there in places creepy crawlers could slink though, that never bothered the birds, I couldn't even smell it.
Tell me more about deep litter beer can? Do you just turn the poop into the bedding? How often do you need to do that? And if you have shelves or perches that get pooped on do you add it the floor or remove it?...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655822/pine-and-cedar-shavings-are-dangerous

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/99738/who-says-cedar-is-bad-for-chickens

Last edited:
@hennible and @Beer can

There are several kinds of cedar.... the kind that they use for hamsters and rodent bedding builds up toxic gasses and they pool.... thats why they use cedar in closets and cedar chests for storing special linnens. it kills moths.

But there are other species of cedar like the kind for shake shingles that dont out gas soo much... And the cedar for fencing.... BUT I think you hit it on the nose Sam Having good air circulation to draw out all gaseous emissions would be the solution. And keeping Cedar down to a minimum...

so.... I would build the coop out of cedar fencing.... but would NOT use cedar shavings for bedding.

I actually prefer Rice hulls when ever they are available.... Nice and fluffy water repellent keep the poo up and lets it dry on the spot. The chickens love em because they have little bits of rice in them.... so I just pile it up in the center of the area I want it and the chickens have it flat and even in no time.

deb

Not to jump in here ,,this discussion moves so fast ? ......but I have used cedar as bedding with no ill effects , aromatic cedar at that ? also pine is a very common bedding material here , most comes from Alberta , but as always something new has come up .........flax ? shredded to bit's , used a lot by small farmers as bedding from horses to chickens , apparently it soaks up moisture or something , keeps for a long time ?

Flax hulls CC? Or the stocks?
Any ever use an infra red sauna? My friend has a cedar one, the cedar sent was a bit much after a half hour session... Any way it's a neat seems to be a popular topic, I'd like to use some cedar trim again in my new coop, especially around the overhead storing I want to have....
Yes this thread moves very fast... Today was slower than most....

Back
Top Bottom