Dixie Chicks

We are 20 degrees warmer then last week! It was only -16C this morning! The eggs didn't even freeze anymore yesterday.
wee.gif

Thanks for all the input on asthma and allergies. Should hubby really want to get involved in the animal "stuff" I am sure he'll have his puffers and allergy meds at hand. I think in the new house we'll have one of those awesome air purifiers for the entire house, so that should help. His biggest trigger seems to be season changes, dust and pollen.

Broody still hasn't hatched anything... sad and disappointing. I feel bad for having to break her, but it's in her best interest.

Love the pictures of the west coast: I miss home
love.gif

BC, I might have asked and said this before, don't remember, what breed was your broody? I had a RIR set what I thought pretty diligently. But nothing hatched. Had a guy that raises lots of chickens tell me RIRs might set they have lost the instinct though and won't do it right. I hear heritage bred reds will set though.

BC, I might have asked and said this before, don't remember, what breed was your broody? I had a RIR set what I thought pretty diligently. But nothing hatched. Had a guy that raises lots of chickens tell me RIRs might set they have lost the instinct though and won't do it right. I hear heritage bred reds will set though.

She's a black Orpington. Before I had her sectioned off she would move from nest to nest. Some days her eggs would be sat on by other chickens and other days they were cold by the time I got home. We are leaving in 43 days for our honeymoon...

BC, set now, and they'll be 3 weeks old when you leave. They should be pretty fine by then, as long as someone checks on them daily. Unless you didn't want enabling, in which case, you should wait until after your honeymoon. I mean, they'll only be three weeks old when you leave if you set eggs now, very young and dependent on constant care.

So how do you manage farm live with asthma? Only asking cuz my DH has asthma too. He can manage his quite well most days. Realizing how every one is different I do wonder how he would fare if we moved to a farm after this property. My dream! His lungs got used to the dog, but I still avoid grooming the dog when he's home. The hope is his lungs would slowly adjust to farm live as we get more and more into it just like they did with the dog.
Ideally my farm would be in BC, maybe near the coast. The coast seems to have a good effect on his lungs.
Well, I think I overloaded mine. I had the chicks in the house right out in the open when they were inside and I've been coughing ( that's how my asthma works, I hardly ever wheeze) ever since. I wish I could give you a really good answer, but honestly, I just deal with it. I am living on an inhaler again and need to go back to a doctor. Boo. I've been healthy for yrs without symptoms or other issues. I think I am going to try an allergist too and pinpoint exact allergies to treat. What I can live with and what will kill me. LOL

I have gotten used to the cat, but with the cold temps we brought All the animals in- 2 more cats and a huge, furry German Shepherd that just LOVE to hang out with me.
It seems when I am outside, I am pretty much fine -fresh air I'm guessing. I wear a mask to clean coop. I use deep litter so not as often a big job.

I am also ripping out this carpet as soon as I can replace it. That should make a huge difference in not tracking all the pet stuff around. Good luck.

BC, no probably a bit early. Our's are 4 weeks now and have today started roosting on the top roosts, so they're starting to get agile. But if you get a decent sized separation built for them, they'd probably manage fine. I think I'm going to wait a week or two before taking the separator down, just to be safe. I'm more worried about the chicks being caught in the cold run though, I'm not foreseeing issues with the rest of the flock based on their behavior through the net.

But maybe it's for the best for you to wait until after the honeymoon.

Back
Top Bottom