Dixie Chicks

C194D03D-F16F-47AE-996F-524B313819EC.jpeg
621ECEA1-5368-47F8-AA2D-7C4C53A16E4D.jpeg
These two live on an air hockey table and amazingly, stay put 90% of the time

@hennible
Have you ever grown Indian corn? I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of corn in your greenhouses? Painted mountain corn, grown in the mountains of Montana might do real good up where you are. I harvested my first ear, early, worried about rot. The tassels are done but they are not dried out, we're still having nice weather. Not sure when to pick the freaking things. Flour corn. The wade's giant Indian corn still needs some time but I'm not sure of this painted mountain corn, I'd like to wait till it dies down but I don't want it to rot, the end of this one was mushy. Maybe the rest will be alright till we get cold weather and it dies down, IDK? Any input? Should I pick it all or wait? Can't find much info on the net except for the plants are supposed to be dead, brown, dry...
View attachment 1524355
Great corn photo!

Does it also make good popcorn? Or is that a different kind?

Great corn photo!

Does it also make good popcorn? Or is that a different kind?
Flour corn, soft starches, they say you don't even need a grinder. It'll grind well just in a blender. I imagine it'll even do well in Alaska, bred in the harsh rocky mountains at over 5,000 ft where no other corn will grow. 90 days to maturity. Been grown in Siberia to North Korea , to Africa. Higher nutrient content and higher protein than commercial corn, around 14-15% protein.
I'm just not sure if it's ok to pick right now? Plants aren't dead and dry yet, and we've been getting rain.

Same number of kids @Alaskan I knew you’d ask
@Beer can I think I know the beans your talking about, I have seeds I’ve never planted lol. Asian variety?
I haven’t grown any heritage corn, no, but man that stuff you’ve got is beautiful. The greenhouse greenhouse a 20” lift maybe I’ll try a neat corn again... last time I had corn in there it almost went through plastic it got so tall.
I chat with Felix on FB messager once in awhile. He’s doing well I think.

I decided to pick all the cobs that looked close, tested a couple more and saw some mold/rot, left the one's that are still green cause they were hard to pull the shuck down to the cob. Awesome colors. Didn't fully develop kernels on them all, planted the hills far apart and chipmunks stole half the seeds as soon as the started sprouting so not the best fertilization.
Planted first week of June, so around 95 days or less? From seed in ground.
Only planted one packet of this painted mountain, and one of the wade's giant Indian corn, chipmunks got more of the p m, and almost all of the titan giant sunflowers, only have six of them... figured I'd start small see if it's something I'm going to want to get into, the painted mountain for corn flour and the giant is a flint corn for grits. The cobs on them are huge and six foot up some of the plants as tall as the sunflowers around 15 foot to the top of the tassels. The painted mountain was only around four foot.
Screenshot_20180904-221425.png
Screenshot_20180904-221346.png
Screenshot_20180904-221326.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180904-221326.png
    Screenshot_20180904-221326.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
CDB85919-5DEE-4F16-9C53-0D1A8431CF4D.jpeg
Those are beautiful beer can. Sorry about the chipmunks geez lol.
I found a short season corn I can actually grow outside here. Butter gold SE, only 63 days to mature cobs. Good tasty corn but not nearly as attractive as those heirloom types. I will have to try a heirloom that maxes out at 8-9’ in the greenhouse. If it gets to close to the plastic it doesn’t pollenate worth beans.
While I’m here check out this giant hen, only four monthish old but she’s bigger than everyone in my flock save for her daddy Thor. Love me a big hen lol

New Avatar? Is there some kind of argument going on about the confederate flag? I try not to read the news.

People need to educate themselves before they start arguments is the only problem. The confederate flag is a symbol of heritage. Not hate. People that had nothing to do with this time in our history have turned it into something that it is not.

Back
Top Bottom