Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Cucumber Bites with Herb Cream Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes

Needed:
    4 Ounces (1 Brick) Cream Cheese, Softened to room temperature
    1/4 Cup Ranch Dressing (Or Honey mustard)
    2 TBS Dill (can use other spices... Thyme is excellent also)
    3-4 Long Cucumbers. skinned and Slice into thirty 1 inch slices
    15 Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
    Additional Sprinkle of Salt (to Taste, Careful, little goes a long way)
    Additional Sprinkle of Spice (same as used in Cream Cheese) for Garnish
    Additional Sprinkle of Paprika OR a Cajun Spice Mix (optional) for Garnish (and an extra kick if you use the Cajun Mix)

Directions:
    1) First, Make up the HERB CREAM CHEESE, in a stand mixer, mix the softened Cream Cheese with the Ranch dressing and herbs. Mix until well combined. Spoon into a piping bag with a star tip.
    2) Prepare the Cucumber, remove peel, Using a fork, score the sides. Slice into 1 inch pieces. Using a melon Baller, remove a portion of the center of one side of the piece of cucumber, leaving a half moon crater.
    3) Pipe the Herb Cream Cheese into the crater. Enough to stick out of the top about 1/2 inch.
    4) Add a half Cherry Tomato partially buried into the Herb Cream Cheese
    5) Sprinkle additional salt, herbs and spice mix for additional color. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Nummy, Jem...
    Can't get to the store now tho... :p

3. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good mostly chick TV and watching the incubator with some housework thrown in there.
    @Outpost JWB congratulations on the job :woot
    @Amberjem those cucumber bites look so delicious!
    Thank you everyone for the welcome.

4. JulesChicks

JulesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it was! The last several actually...I feel bad for all of you freezing your tushes off. A bit of rain tomorrow and maybe Friday then several more days of perfect working outside weather - 48-50 degrees and sunny!

We got the area that we determined needs to be garden and not coop (too close to property line) knocked down of brambles over this past weekend. Notice I say "knocked down" and not cleared? So, I read an article where a guy on Vashon Island cleared brambles by using a bush hog, leaving the canes to mulch and seeding with grass, watering, reseeding where necessary and mowing down any new blackberry shoots that pop up (repeatedly). He says the grass eventually chokes out/starves the brambles of light. Think it'll work? I'm thinking we'll try this method in the areas that are to be pasture. We burned a lot of them (after cutting), but there are still roots and some canes there.

I think hubby feels a little guilty he's leaving for the OP again to go fishing Sunday-Wednesday, so he's working on a coop solution for me. I may get a few young pullets near POL and start them in a small coop while we plan and build a larger one that will accommodate the chicks I plan on getting in April.

5. JulesChicks

Welcome and hello...This has soooo been me...on several threads!

@Amberjem yummy looking cucumber bites...could use those as an appetizer right now, lazy getting dinner going.

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like my day, @bamachicks8 :)
    Sill frozen in, REALLY want to get outta the house! lol

@JulesChicks Chicken math!!! :D

7. JulesChicks

Yep! I've done enough research to know that this will happen. Especially since we have no real space limitations and I seem to be getting my husband on board, or at least accepting my latest endeavor [​IMG]

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Sounds like me an Jim! lol
    He was accepting, now he's become my biggest enabler! And we have plenty of space, too! :D ;)

9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

[​IMG]

I am in LOVE with Ravyn, because she LOOOOOOVES me! [​IMG]

(your goody arrived..... I will set it up tomorrow, and see how she runs.... I think her name is Sally)

10. JulesChicks

Haha...well, at first I was "allowed" about a dozen...now we're up to 20-24 [​IMG] I guess I used the shock technique - told him I wanted a 10'x20' coop since we can have a structure in our county up to 200sf without a permit. So if I get somewhere between 10x10 and 10x20 for the main coop I'll be really happy! I think I have him comfortable with a 10x12 or 10x14-16 right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by