Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] morning...thats frigging cold!!!!!!!!

2. Amberjem

well I have some shipped eggs resting and awaiting there trip into the incubator... looks like they had a hard time in the travels...and few eggs broken one was smashed to peices and leaked everywhere.........gently used warm water to clean the few eggs that were ok...and guess we will see what they will or wont do......the eggs that didnt get any goop on em and look ok so far I will candle them before I put them in the bator are maran eggs... disappointed the brahma/maran eggs got gooped on but guess we will see what happens........first time trying shipped eggs and as I said looks like they had a rough travel so we will see

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

That frozen grill looks pretty cool.

Beer, hope they don't rip you off with the price. You guys over there are having a super cold winter, and here it's just raining at the moment... More and more ground is visible each day. Did anyone see the pic of Niagara Falls?

Sam, your first chili babies are pushing up their sprouts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the "Assorted medium hot peppers". Took only 6 days, that's pretty fast.

We're going to go on another hardware store run, we thought we'd put together a bunny tractor today, since we've got nothing better to do either. The plans for the real bunny hutch are still developing, but I'm going to build this tractor as a modular model, so that it can be made longer in 70cm (28") sections. I'll start with three or four sections.

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG] It won't be long and you'll have little Butler/Matty's running around!!

The forecast high for today is 31F but tomorrow's is 11 F and Monday's is 12F. It's going to be a long time before anything green happens here....[​IMG]

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    hmmmm. Never heard of them. Our local feed store gets their chicks from Mount Healthy hatchery. BUT this feed store also sells Araucanas, which I proudly bought 5 of last year-not really knowing the story about this breed. Once I got home and investigated, found out I have Easter Eggers. I'm good with that, just wish the hatcheries and feed stores would not call them by the wrong breed. A true araucana costs much more than $3. Just saying, Beer can. My EE lay green eggs, except one, she lays a white (almost) egg.

Speaking of feed stores, yesterday I was at my local feed store and asked if they have Corid. I think one of my roosters (Snowman) has coccidiosis. Well, not sure, I am just keeping an eye on him and wanted to be armed in case I seen the need to treat the flock. He has had foamy yellow poop 2 days this week and then one day we seen blood in his stool. He's not acting any different and is eating fine. Its either him or a RIR with uneven waddles. RIR will be butchered soon, but we are keeping Snowman. Anyways, the owner of the feed store said they don't carry corid and tried to sell me some sulfa powder that was $14 for a small pouch. I told him I'd pass and look elsewhere for the corid. He then informed me that after this year, it will be much harder, if not impossible to buy over the counter meds for animals.[​IMG] Said we will now need vet scripts to get any animal meds in the US. Anyone else hear that?

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Its negative something outside now. Not looking. But we have had at least 8" snow this morning dumped on top of the already 8". UGH! And it's still coming down. I started some Bushsteak Hybrid tomatoes on the 18th. No sign of life yet.

7. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    These sound like the real deal according to the feed store order form, "A rumpless chicken (no tail) with beautiful feather tufts near the eyes. Pullets $2.75."
    But if you look at Ridgway's description of their Araucana; "Lay nice size colored eggs.  These birds vary in size and color, some may have whiskers and others have feathers that cover their ears.  They have great nutritional value."
    Sounds like they might be a mixed flock?
    Was thinking of ordering some and only keeping a couple so I could have blue eggs, sell the rest. My EE are only laying green and olive, I think I have one not laying so maybe I'll get a blue one. I think I'll pass on them Araucanas, to iffy, I don't need more EEgrs.

8. Amberjem

[​IMG]

9. Amberjem

[​IMG]

10. Amberjem

dirt dirt dirt I love the dirt...actually I fell asleep with a bag of dirt last night :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by