Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

2. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    you may be right. I know the sop calls for yellow or orange. We have only hatched 4 good Marans....and Felix. She is a cuckoo Marans that we had to assist hatch. She is dumb. Her legs were funky at birth and still are

3. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    But we were talking Brahmas right lmbo

4. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    All of our brahmas have had correct feet/leg color at birth. We have had some strange crosses.
    Im wondering what people cross to get the strange colored brahmas.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

We have 9 Australorps we hatched in Dec already, lol... Besides, Jim brought home 6 of the EE's... ;)

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

On the right, right before the big curve to towards the bridge... Is the bridge still that ugly, rust stained green? lol

Live there? You could say that! I was born there, lol. In the old Skagit Valley Hospital before it burned down. My aunt lived across the bridge just off the dike road.
    Been a looong time tho... Trip down memory lane, lol...

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Our birds with Marans blood in them have all hatched with splotchy feet and then later developed a solid color... same goes for beaks. Bama, are you giving Felix the dumb chick any poultry vitamins?

We had an interesting morning today. I took out the dogs and Karin went to clean the coop, when she noticed that Eemeli was all covered in blood. I mean completely soaked. Good thing it hasn't been colder last night, he would have frozen to death. We took him inside and he got to experience his first shower. Poor guy almost fainted a couple of times from humiliation (or maybe it was stress). When we finally got the half inch thick layer of coagulated blood on his comb to come loose, there really wasn't much of a wound there, He must have snagged his comb in the run sometime in the night. But it had bled like crazy, he was completely soaked in blood from his comb to a few inches past his wings. When we tried rinsing his head, he of course shook, it, covering Karin, me and every surface in a straight line from him within 6 feet with bloody water.

Using a hairdryer was interesting too, at first he didn't like it one bit, but I think once he started to dry off he started appreciating the warm air. He was pretty happy to get back with his girls though. I must say he's quite a nice little roo really, he was very cooperative, I think I'm starting to warm up to him. His sister I still dislike though. Also, very nice muscles on the guy, he would make an excellent roast.

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry about the comb, Felix... those are the bloodiest, messiest wounds I've ever seen... hard to believe so much blood comes out of such a small piece of flesh, lol...
    Glad he was good for ya, though... guess he wasn't worried about losing his Roo Card being undignified...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Sam, now the first of the Apache pepper has penetrated the surface too.

[​IMG]

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Ravyn, yeah, the amount of blood was unbelievable. I don't know if he was just weak from the blood loss, or if he's actually starting to mellow out to be a bit less afraid of people, but Karin picked him up without resistance.

We're finally getting proper rain here, and it's about +2.5C outside. So maybe we'll get rid of a lot of snow today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by