Dixie Chicks

Has anyone had trouble with their feathered footed chickens getting pecked on their feet? Bad Eye had a very bloody foot today. Little girl and I brought her up by the house to spend the night in a little crate on the back porch. Poor little hen.

Yep, I do NOT like those fluffy feet... they are 'please eat me' magnets.

The problem is that when they are covered in blood feathers, the feathers are easily broken. A tiny spot of bright red and everyone in the flock gets excited.... you know how it is.

Solution:
Super big amount of square feet per bird.... padded everything enclosure..... or no breeds with feathered feet.

Well, the little gremlin didn't make it...
sad.png

Jim wants to try black meat, so guess I gotta process...

Total suck! Sorry you have to do that.

@RavynFallen Have you ever heard of eating local wild flower honey for allergies? Something about the bees getting their nectar from flowers you have allergies fromand converting it to honey helps. I don't know just heard this from my neighbor, I'm not allergic to anything.

Have a lot of people at my work that use honey for allergies. Needs to be local to work.

no problem.. there isn't a darn goji berry on this island dried or otherwise lol I have looked everywhere...even the health food store which seemed really weird they wouldnt carry it

I can buy, ship to you if you wanna pay for it. Think they are maybe $15 a pound, dried bulk.

Beautiful pic!!

I'm sorry amber.... We are still thinking and praying for you all!

Don't what the counseling is for...but still sending happy thoughts your way Amberjem. I hope everything gets worked out.

Little girl is SUPER EXCITED
wee.gif
She and DH are going on a date tomorrow night. They have a father- daughter dance to attend
love.gif
So cool!

I bet they have a great time and she'll remember it forever!

Well, the little gremlin didn't make it...
sad.png

Jim wants to try black meat, so guess I gotta process...
supposedly the skull on a silkie is actually kinda defective.... if they get pecked on just the right spot it can easily kill them
sad.png

The vaulted skull that Silkies (and some other breeds) have is more susceptible to injury. Think newborn baby skull that is still in "pieces" and not a single bone. The hen must have hit him just the right/wrong place.
hugs.gif

Here is a diagram of the difference in a vaulted vs regular chicken skull:

33115_1868_variation_f8781_fig36.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom