Dixie Chicks

I too am blasting through catchup.

With Regard to coops and housing.... I have gone through four iterations of coops here. Mind you San Diego is a mild climate all we have to protect for is wind and rain and very little rain at that... And predators we have the whole gambbut stopping at bears and wolves. Mostly though Coyotes, dogs, raccoons and raptors in the city. add in mountain lions and bobcat in where I live now.

So my coops have always been wire cages with Canvas roofing.

My first one was four by six by six all welded wire with a single wall of plywood. I had four hens in that. locked up when I wasnt there.

My second one was six by six by six aviary wire... I used to raise finches. I had four hens in that but they could free range.

My third was sixteen by twelve dog kennel panels... I had about thirty bantams barnyard mixes... Mostly blue egg layers and about three roos. That was my most fun flock by the way.

I remodeled that one when I got the Guinea fowl. I raised the roof on it making a peaked roof so I could put the guineas roost higher up than the chickens...

I remodeled it again when having higher roosts wasnt enough I needed a partition for chicks so I made a chicken partition and a guinea partition.

When the guineas were gone I converted that to a goat house by making a goat sized door on the off side.

Still no roof just tarps.

Now all the poultry is gone and the goats as well. Predators took em all year before last.

so for a barnyard mix of chickens keep em all in one enclosure. If you want purebreds you can pull off what ever purebreds and put them in their own partition till you get pure eggs. Takes about two to four weeks to get purebreds.

That was my plan for my next go round. Rebuilding and reconfiguring to have a 24 x 24 poultry house with a real roof this time... Tarps work but they take maintenance. Plus I am tired of feeding all the predators in my area.

So The birds I want to raise are Guinea Fowl primarily. So my biggest partition will be six by twenty four with an additional six by six for a grand total of 180 square feet. For a potential of housing 45 Guinea Fowl at four square foot per bird. they are smaller than chickens but more much much more active.

Then a partition for my Frequent Flier Flock of Sumatras. Hoping to do 6 x 12 partition for them at 72 square feet that would be a potential for 18-20 because they are not a large fowl not a bantam either.

That leaves for me one more partition for Chickens and one more partition to house goats.

With ample room for feed storage workspace and brood boxes if necessary. Though I am hoping the Sumatras will fill the incubation needs, I will have space in the house for an incubator.

The new coop will be about 400 ft.² which is enough for 100 birds they say but I never want to have 100 birds besides legally I can't own 100 birds... 99 yes, 100 no... Parts of the coop will be dedicated to feed storage, I'm going to build a duck pen two adult chicken pens and a nursery pen inside it and still maintain my original coupe for emergency care, or use a Bachelor/grow out coop... Here's how my chicken math went, two years ago I started with two chickens now I have 40 some birds, that's chicken math...

Lol 2- 40! Well, I was thinking I wanted a dozen, so I'm planning for 24! We can have 200sf without a permit, but I don't think DH will let me go that big... so I am thinking of the main coop being a minimum of 10x14 and up to 12x16 (dreaming). The minimum chicken area would be 10x10, with some area for storage and maybe a stacked brooder/broody hen area (saw someone on BYC with this and it was pretty cool). That could of course be built out later. I'm still trying to work out details for dimensions and layout.

Chicken math?? Is it = Decided to get a few chickens last year, haven't had any in a few years. Wife says just a few, we don't need that many. Decided on 6, 2 of each different colored egg layers,decided on 9, 3 of each because you never know if some might die, got to have a roo, I love roos, better order two though cause one might die. Wife notices if we buy 10 more 'mystery chicks' the price is the same cause of the difference in shipping. So we ended up with 21, between predators and hatchet, weeded down the numbers to 8 hens and 1 roo. Good number. Now I have 25 more ordered, plus the trio of cemani crosses. I thought the wife wasn't to happy about it, she complained some, she doesn't care much about the chickens. Now I keep catching her checking out cemani and svart hona hatching eggs, huh? Could this chicken disease be contagious?

Chicken math?? Is it = Decided to get a few chickens last year, haven't had any in a few years. Wife says just a few, we don't need that many. Decided on 6, 2 of each different colored egg layers,decided on 9, 3 of each because you never know if some might die, got to have a roo, I love roos, better order two though cause one might die. Wife notices if we buy 10 more 'mystery chicks' the price is the same cause of the difference in shipping. So we ended up with 21, between predators and hatchet, weeded down the numbers to 8 hens and 1 roo. Good number. Now I have 25 more ordered, plus the trio of cemani crosses. I thought the wife wasn't to happy about it, she complained some, she doesn't care much about the chickens. Now I keep catching her checking out cemani and svart hona hatching eggs, huh? Could this chicken disease be contagious?

That's the definition Webster's has :lau
Yes it is contagious there is currently no cure.

I've tried really hard here to figure out chicken math. I don't think I still get a passing grade, but I tried to "overbuild" the coop a couple of years ago, and have just now reached "shouldn't have more." I figure 15, and am currently with 12 grown hens, one roo, and one hatchling I will keep if it is female, and four hatchlings due to arrive April 8-9. So, I hoard roadside finds of good, non-termite dog kennels...stash them around the back near a bamboo stand that chickens use as protection from hawks as they free range. I guess I will have to modify one of those to separate the Orp Roo and his hen so he won't breed all the others as well. I have a modified TV cabinet and netted run that works great for an outdoor brood house, and so far I have good luck integrating two or three hens into the main flock a year. Chicken math...so hard.
tht looks totally interesting we need more pictures

More chicken math. Seriously thinking of ordering those Araucanas from our feed store. They do say rumpless, no tail, and ear tufts. If they end up being EE I can just sell them on Craigslist when they get bigger. Sure would like some blue egg layers. Wish I could find someone who has dealt with Ridgway hatchery and would no if they are the real deal, $2.75ea for pullets seems like to good of a deal not to try, and no shipping costs going through our feed store to get them.

More chicken math. Seriously thinking of ordering those Araucanas from our feed store. They do say rumpless, no tail, and ear tufts. If they end up being EE I can just sell them on Craigslist when they get bigger. Sure would like some blue egg layers. Wish I could find someone who has dealt with Ridgway hatchery and would no if they are the real deal, $2.75ea for pullets seems like to good of a deal not to try, and no shipping costs going through our feed store to get them. 

Beer, create a new thread with Ridgeway hatchery in the title... just ask if anyone has used them and what their experience is... might get you some input, maybe?

ETA: just looked up the name on byc, someone said their Araucanas have tails and are EE's...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom