Dixie Chicks

I am ready for spring salads!

What a lovely bowl of deliciousness!
droolin.gif

I really like pansys 

We thought the pansies were very bland... Like eating grass. Not exciting. :idunno

@1kluckychik

Nasturtiums like cool temps.. So in your area, might just grow in winter.

You can eat the flowers and the leaves... They are peppery, maybe like radish sprouts or something. We like to dice the leaves and put in omlets. The flowers are milder than the leaves, and great in salad.

Quote: They're awesome. I haven't grown any in a few years, though. The flowers are usually orange, yellow, red, or a mix of those. They don't tend to do the mass take over here that some other plants do... then again, I eat all the flowers, so it doesn't get the chance. The leaves look like lily pads, but it's not a water plant. They're a little peppery, but they won't burn your mouth and they are fantastic in salads.

capers are nasturtium buds
I did not know that. I really like the flowers with a chunk of lemon in them. Yum.

Quote: I've grown them in spring and summer and they do really well here, given half a chance. I used to plant them every year. Never tried them during winter, though. I might have to try this year.

Huh! They really love our cool temps, 50s etc. so I just guessed they wouldn't like heat.

They are originally from South America, the natives down there used them as a veggie, and the Spanish brought them back to Europe super early, and then in the 1500's I think, they became a very popular veggie in England, only later did people start to grow them only for their flowers.

Deb, I thought the buds were used as a caper substitute, especially loved by Thomas Jefferson and Washington... But that real capers were from a different plant??? Whatever, not gunna google right now. :D

ROFLOL! Years ago, I bought a pack of Nasturtium seeds, planted them, and they grew. No big deal. My mother came for a visit, went outside, collected a handful of flowers, came in, rinsed them off, pulled the flowers apart some, and tossed them into what I was cooking for supper. I freaked! She laughed at me, and explained they were edible, and had a peppery taste. That is how I learned about eating flowers.

Back
Top Bottom