Dixie Chicks

Ah! No, I usually manage to mark the eggs... but then I forget to segregate them before hatch....

I am actually going to be setting three different lines of Dominiques in a couple of weeks..... might have to learn how to toe punch....

Old knee highs or nylons... cut up, tie ends with eggs inside... works great and easy...

Toe punching isn't bad... rougher mentally working up to it than anything... once you do it the first time, easy peasy...

Last edited:
I have no idea what hatched out of what I thought was a Welsummer egg. It could be a white Marans with incredibly sucky color (speckled like a Welsummer egg can be). It blended in with the rest of the yellow chicks, so I have no idea which one it is. The white egg hatched an Andalusian. :celebrate  Some buff Orps hatched. There's my two Welsummers and a New Hampshire Red. The rest I don't know because they blend in with the chicks from my eggs. I think there are some BRs and a lorp in there, but one of my hens is a lorp and the other is half, so who knows. I kinda have my hopes up that one of them is a Jersey Giant.

Congrats!!!
:celebrate

I have no idea what hatched out of what I thought was a Welsummer egg. It could be a white Marans with incredibly sucky color (speckled like a Welsummer egg can be). It blended in with the rest of the yellow chicks, so I have no idea which one it is. The white egg hatched an Andalusian. :celebrate  Some buff Orps hatched. There's my two Welsummers and a New Hampshire Red. The rest I don't know because they blend in with the chicks from my eggs. I think there are some BRs and a lorp in there, but one of my hens is a lorp and the other is half, so who knows. I kinda have my hopes up that one of them is a Jersey Giant.

Let the fun of "guess the breed" begin!

my next foray
working on two more Tree of life projects... Getting better again finding mistakes and noting them down. But am happy with the results even so.
front... I didnt leave enough for a propper Bale... Can fix when I pick out a chian

Sent%20Mail%3E13060

My wire wrapping is still in need of fine tuning.... but I am getting there.
Sent%20Mail%3E13060

finally I wanted to share some samples I did for wire color. Practice included Duplicatablility.

LOL the white one is actually silver....
left to right
Dark blue ... Gold tone.... Tangerine.... Silver..... Fuchsia the manufacturer does them all with copper cores... Yay the color over the top is Enamel of some sort. Oh and they are about the size of a quarter.
Sent%20Mail%3E13060

my butt hurts... I started two of these Tree of life pendants Kind of working out methodology and process so I can start several at a time and when someone wants one I just finish it out from a kit. The next one will be a green pendant
deb

@Alaskan remember that batch of chicks you had that were dead in shell?
Did you figure out what happened?

I just hatched 13 naked necks. Did a eggtopsy on 15 that never pipped, figured they would be bad eggs. Every one perfectly formed chick that looked like should have hatched. No internal pip, not shrink wrapped or drowned and positioned good.
I never opened the bator after lockdown until the 13 were 24hrs old, none of the other eggs any pips. Waited another 24hrs later did eggtopsy on the 15 left. Looked like they died the day all the rest pipped and popped out..
Pretty sad. Don't know what went wrong.

@perchie.girl those look nice!
Must take some serious time?
Thank you The work is like crocheting you turn your mind off and work on automatic. I believe it took about 7 hours.... started in the morning but Had easter to do... Cooking and all.. I had to break down my work area and stowe it then bring it back out... so I was sitting for about twelve hours total.

deb

Beer Can --

Bummer! Was there enough air/oxygen in the incubator during lockdown? I've had "launch pad" failures with shipped Marans eggs and a few others. Low-altitude laid eggs not getting enough air through their pores when attempted to hatch at a higher altitude. The ones that did manage to hatch were definitely, err, physically and mentally challenged and disposed of.

So sorry to hear that your chicks were so close. That's heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom